Dodgers RBI is a sports-based youth development program founded by the Los Angeles Dodgers Foundation (LADF) for ages 5-18 that uses baseball and softball participation to provide kids life-changing social and emotional learning and access to health care and educational opportunities. As they develop self-confidence and empathy through sport, we unlock access to health care and educational opportunities as well as provide a place where the kids can feel safe while they play and learn.
More than 10,000 young Angelenos from age 5 to 18 participate annually in Dodgers RBI, joining teams that play from March to August across Los Angeles County. Dodgers RBI players receive free uniforms, equipment, health and educational resources.
Understanding youth face additional barriers to their well-being, LADF works with corporate and community partners, and law enforcement, to organize on-field activations and community resource festivals at Dodgers RBI locations to improve access to coordinated resources and meet the social, educational and health-related needs of the community. Youth who participate in special events receive specialized training from elite coaches, engage with local law enforcement, attend college workshops, visit colleges, obtain free eye exams, glasses and dental screenings, and receive wellness education.
Dodgers RBI Goals
- To increase participation and interest in baseball and softball among under resourced youth with an emphasis on increasing participation amongst African American youth, girls, and youth ages 13-18.
- To use the sport as an engagement tool in order to increase access to educational resources and increase positive attitudes toward educational opportunities among program participants.
- To use the sport as an engagement tool in order to increase access to health resources and increase positive attitudes towards exercise and healthy habits among program participants.
- To provide a safe and fun atmosphere for play while promoting positive character development among program participants.
Program Elements and Special Events
Dodgers RBI offers a variety of programming and special events in the areas of Sports + Recreation, Education + Literacy, and Health + Wellness to deliver necessary resources to participants at no cost:
- PlayerFest - Each year Dodgers RBI players and their families enjoy a festival at Dodger Stadium that features opportunities to meet Dodger alumni, run the bases on the field, take a tour of the stadium, receive giveaway items from various sponsors, rock climb, bungee jump, free health and education resources, and much more!
- Dodger Days - Community festivals that bring program partners and community members together to celebrate the Dodgers RBI season and create access to multiple free health, wellness, education and literacy services.
- Coaches Trainings - To ensure that coaches within Dodgers RBI have the appropriate resources they need to implement coaching at their locations, LADF partners with organizations to provide training that teach baseball and softball fundamentals, trauma-informed approaches, and positive youth development strategies. Training from these core partners provide a well-balanced foundation for coaches that include both game knowledge and important strategies for offering powerful support to their players.
- College Workshops - College workshops are conducted for players ages 11-18 to help guide them to apply for college. Sessions are to support low-income, first-generation, and underrepresented students as they learn about transcript analysis, A-G planning, college research, college applications, and more.
- College Access Tours - Dodgers RBI conducts college access tours for players ages 13-18 to become familiar with college campuses and learn more about collegiate athletics, career pathways in sports, and specific application requirements and scholarship opportunities at local public and private universities.
- Fitness Clinics - Dodgers RBI players will learn fun interactive exercises along with nutritional lessons that can lead them to positive habits.
- Baseball and Softball Development Series - Specific Dodgers RBI players ages 11-18 will have the opportunity to be led by trainers from the Dodgers Training Academy to advance player's skills specifically in pitching, catching, hitting, and defense.
- Dodgers Academy Series - Dodgers RBI participants ages 9-18 will have the opportunity to train at the Dodgers Training Academy to improve their game and train in a state-of-the-art facility.
- Baseball and Softball Fundamental Clinics - Dodgers RBI players ages 5-18 will be led by trainers from the Dodgers Training Academy to reinforce baseball and softball skills.
- Recycle Challenge - Dodgers RBI players will have the opportunity to compete in a fun contest by collecting bottles and cans and turning them into their local recycling center. The first-place team will be recognized on the field at Dodger Stadium and one player will throw out the first pitch.
- Dodgers RBI Positive Coach of the Year - Dodgers RBI participants, families, and location staff members will have the chance to nominate a coach that has made a positive impact. The top five winners will be recognized on the field during pre-game at Dodger Stadium.
2020 Dodgers RBI Affiliate Partners
* Click partner link for Dodgers RBI registration info!