Globe iconLogin iconRecap iconSearch iconTickets icon

news

MLB News

Rumor roundup: Rox, O's, Astros eye Gallardo

MLB.com

All eyes were on Yoenis Cespedes on Friday as the outfielder's free agency came to an end when he agreed to a three-year deal to return to the Mets.

The Cespedes news may have made the biggest splash of the day, but he certainly wasn't the only name surfacing. Here's a look at the latest Hot Stove developments from around the league:

All eyes were on Yoenis Cespedes on Friday as the outfielder's free agency came to an end when he agreed to a three-year deal to return to the Mets.

The Cespedes news may have made the biggest splash of the day, but he certainly wasn't the only name surfacing. Here's a look at the latest Hot Stove developments from around the league:

Three teams interested in Gallardo
Yovani Gallardo could be the next big-name free agent to sign. The right-hander is negotiating with the Rockies, Orioles and Astros, one of his representatives said Friday.

Hot Stove Tracker

"He'll be happy pitching for any of the three teams," said Bobby Witt, partnering with Scott Pucino to represent Gallardo for Octagon. "He wants to go out and pitch, and he's excited to get to work."

Gallardo, who turns 30 next month, is likely to command a contract in line with the five-year, $70 million agreement Ian Kennedy made with the Royals and the five-year, $80 million deal Wei-Yin Chen inked with Miami.

Gallardo received a qualifying offer from the Rangers, so the team that signs him must also relinquish a 2016 Draft pick. The Rockies have the least to lose, as their No. 4 overall selection is protected. They would instead surrender the 38th overall pick. Baltimore and Houston would lose their first rounders -- Nos. 14 and 18, respectively.

That could prove an obstacle for the Orioles, as executive vice president of baseball operations Dan Duquette recently told MLB Network Radio on SiriusXM that his club would prefer to retain its top Draft pick.

Video: TEX@BAL: Gallardo shuts down O's to extend streak

Mets come to terms with Duda, Mejia, add Bastardo
The Mets were busy Friday. In addition to bringing back Cespedes, New York reportedly avoided arbitration with two players -- first baseman Lucas Duda and reliever Jenrry Mejia -- and agreed to a two-year deal with free-agent reliever Antonio Bastardo.

According to MLB Network's Jon Heyman, Duda will earn $6.725 million next year, while Mejia agreed at $2.47 million. Mejia, however, still has 99 games remaining on his suspension for using performance-enhancing drugs.

Duda, who turns 30 next month, hit .244 with 27 homers and 73 RBIs in 135 games with the Mets in 2015. He's under team control for one more season. Mejia made just seven appearances in 2015 due to suspensions. He was effective when eligible to play, allowing no earned runs in 7 1/3 innings.

Bastardo's two-year deal, which was first reported by Heyman, is valued at $12 million, sources told MLB.com's Jesse Sanchez.

Bastardo pitched in 66 games for the Pirates last season, compiling a 2.98 ERA over 57 1/3 innings.

Video: Mets agree with left-hander Bastardo on two-year deal

Mariners agreed to Minors deal with Sanchez
The Mariners on Friday came to terms on a Minor League contract with first baseman Gaby Sanchez, according to ESPN's Jerry Crasnick. The deal includes an invite to Major League Spring Training, per Chris Cotillo of SB Nation.

Sanchez, 32, hasn't played in the big leagues since 2014. The former All-Star selection spent last year with the Rakuten Golden Eagles in Japan's Nippon Professional Baseball.

Sanchez played in parts of seven Major League seasons with the Marlins and Pirates and is a career .254/.332/.413 hitter through 700 games.

Chad Thornburg is a reporter for MLB.com.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Antonio Bastardo, Yoenis Cespedes, Lucas Duda, Yovani Gallardo, Jenrry Mejia