Globe iconLogin iconRecap iconSearch iconTickets icon
news

MLB News

Blue Jays recall Mayza, option Campos

MLB.com @gregorMLB

TORONTO -- It's a good year to be a Blue Jays' Minor League pitcher because there have been no shortage of opportunities with the big league club.

Toronto made yet another roster move on Monday afternoon by purchasing the contract of lefty Tim Mayza from Triple-A Buffalo. Reliever Leonel Campos was optioned to Buffalo in a corresponding move while right-hander Taylor Cole was unconditionally released to make room on the 40-man roster.

View Full Game Coverage

TORONTO -- It's a good year to be a Blue Jays' Minor League pitcher because there have been no shortage of opportunities with the big league club.

Toronto made yet another roster move on Monday afternoon by purchasing the contract of lefty Tim Mayza from Triple-A Buffalo. Reliever Leonel Campos was optioned to Buffalo in a corresponding move while right-hander Taylor Cole was unconditionally released to make room on the 40-man roster.

View Full Game Coverage

Mayza will become the 20th relief pitcher used by Toronto when he eventually gets into a game. The Blue Jays also have used 12 starters, which is one shy of a club record that has been done three times before with 2013 being the most recent example.

"[Mayza] has been throwing good," Blue Jays manager John Gibbons said. "Great arm. Left-handed. He was kind of on the map last year, he showed some good things in Spring Training and he's been pitching well lately. Another opportunity ... here it is, man."

Mayza received a lot of attention during Spring Training as a potential future mainstay in the bullpen. But he got off to rough start with Double-A New Hampshire, posting a 4.59 ERA over 29 appearances. He eventually bounced back and salvaged his Minor League campaign by allowing just two earned runs over 19 1/3 innings following a promotion to Triple-A Buffalo.

The 25-year-old now joins a Toronto bullpen with a rather unique look. The Blue Jays have four lefties and three righties, at least until right-hander Dominic Leone returns from the bereavement list this week.

"It's probably not the way you'd draw it up, but it's an opportunity," Gibbons said, while adding that his lefty relievers would face batters from both sides of the plate. "Until Leone gets back, we've got [Danny] Barnes, [Roberto] Osuna and [Ryan] Tepera, and we've been running them pretty hard."

Montero nears return

Blue Jays catcher Miguel Montero will begin a rehab assignment with Triple-A Buffalo on Tuesday. Montero has been out since Aug. 2 with a strained groin. His rehab assignment is expected to be brief and there's a chance he will return to the Blue Jays as early as Wednesday against Tampa Bay.

Video: TOR@CWS: Montero injures groin fielding infield hit

Starting catcher Russell Martin is currently on the 10-day DL with a strained oblique muscle and it's not immediately clear when he will return. It's also not clear whether Raffy Lopez will continue to receive the bulk of the playing time during Martin's absence, or if he'll have to split time with Montero.

The Blue Jays have been impressed with the 29-year-old Lopez, who could figure into the club's plans next season, whereas Montero will be a free agent.

"We'll work that out when [Montero] gets back," Gibbons said. "I like everything I've seen [from Lopez]. I haven't seen the kid before but I had heard good things. I like the way he works behind the plate. He has some arm strength. I'll tell you what, he takes good swings. He really does. He's confident, too. I've been impressed."

Gregor Chisholm has covered the Blue Jays for MLB.com since 2011. Follow him on Twitter @gregorMLB and Facebook, and listen to his podcast.

Toronto Blue Jays