"Doctors wanted him on this medicine," Collins said. "He's feeling a little better today, which they thought would happen, but the doctors said they need 48 hours to see how long it takes effect. At the end of the 48 hours, they are going to reexamine him and see what the next step will be."
Both Wright and Mets general manager Sandy Alderson voiced concerns about the injury on Saturday.
"Any time I miss a game with something other than my back, it's pretty concerning," Wright said after New York's 9-1 loss to Los Angeles. "My back gives me enough trouble, so now that it is something different, it's frustrating."
Collins added that the recent neck injury does not stem from the back issues that have plagued Wright over the past two years, but said it could be related to the shoulder soreness that the 33-year-old dealt with earlier this month.
The Mets have not yet ruled out the possibility of Wright returning for their series opener against the White Sox on Monday at 1:10 p.m. ET.
Wright has homered in each of his last three games and has hit in six straight games, going 6-for-24 (.250) over that span. In 37 games this season, he is batting .226 (31-for-137) with seven home runs and 14 RBIs.
Troy Provost-Heron is a reporter for MLB.com based in New York.