Replay corrects Grandy wall catch vs. White Sox

April 5th, 2018

TORONTO -- Blue Jays left fielder appeared to make a spectacular catch at the wall during Wednesday night's 4-3 loss to the White Sox, but instant replay changed all of that.
Granderson was tracking a ball on the warning track when he almost pulled off the type of circus catch that would have qualified for top plays of the year. The problem is he didn't really come up with the ball, and a closer look at the video proved that but also created a little chaos along the way.
The shot to left from Chicago's initially looked like it had a chance to leave the park. Granderson went to the warning track and then attempted to make a leaping grab. At first glance, it appeared as though the ball bounced off Granderson's glove and into the air. As Granderson fell onto his back, he managed to grab the ball, and that was enough for third-base umpire Jerry Layne to signal for the out and mass confusion ensued on the basepaths.
"I went out and there was no way that I could ever tell that the ball was trapped, hit the wall or anything," Layne said to a pool reporter after the game. "What I thought happened is that the ball hit the glove, went up and he was able, it appeared to me, to secure it before it hit the ground.
"I have an out which is now a no-catch. But we don't know that until the White Sox come out and say they'd like to challenge. We go and tell Toronto's manager, [John] Gibbons, that if they overturn this, there would be a placement of runners in New York. We don't place the runners, replay handled all that. That was completely out of our hands. That's what that was all about."
Layne's out call initially created the confusion as all of the White Sox runners retreated to their original bases. The replay crew in New York then had to determine where those runners would have ended up if the correct call on the field had been made. As a result, it was based on their judgment that all runners would move up one bag and Moncada would be awarded first base with a single.
"We were very, very confident," White Sox manager Rick Renteria said. "It didn't take us very long to go ahead and ask them to look at it."
Gibbons wanted the umpires to check and see if Moncada ran past the runner on first base but he was informed that it did not matter because the play was essentially ruled dead after the incorrect out call was made.

"There again, umpire error, therefore once I declared it was a catch, if you're the runner you'd think what does it matter if I passed because I was ruled out," Layne said. "Once an umpire error occurs, nothing can happen that the other team can benefit from. There's no way they can get an out when I was the one who called an out when it was a no-catch."
The Blue Jays weren't too happy with the call at the time, but after the game, Gibbons understood the decision and seemed to think the correct call was made in the end.
"The hitter definitely passed the guy who was on first base, so we just clarified," Gibbons said. "Any time the out sign is made, it kills everything. The runners see that so [passing the runner] doesn't even come into effect."