Globe iconLogin iconRecap iconSearch iconTickets icon

news

MLB News

Story still left to be Gold: SS hoping for GG

Black: Slugger 'overlooked' on defense due to offensive production
MLB.com @harding_at_mlb

DENVER -- Rockies shortstop Trevor Story received and appreciated increased respect for his defense during the season. But being left off the finalist list for the National League Rawlings Gold Glove Award has him seeking more.

On Thursday, the Giants' Brandon Crawford, the Phillies' Freddy Galvis and the Dodgers' Corey Seager were announced as finalists for the award, which will be presented Nov. 7 at 7 p.m. MT on ESPN.

DENVER -- Rockies shortstop Trevor Story received and appreciated increased respect for his defense during the season. But being left off the finalist list for the National League Rawlings Gold Glove Award has him seeking more.

On Thursday, the Giants' Brandon Crawford, the Phillies' Freddy Galvis and the Dodgers' Corey Seager were announced as finalists for the award, which will be presented Nov. 7 at 7 p.m. MT on ESPN.

"I was a little disappointed, but I will use it as motivation for the years to come," said Story, who has three teammates up for Gold Gloves -- third baseman Nolan Arenado, second baseman DJ LeMahieu and left fielder Gerardo Parra.

Story displayed his signature pirouette-and-throw when he ranges behind second base and followed that with accurate throws after diving and rolling. Toward the end of the season, other managers and coaches -- who vote on the award -- were asking manager Bud Black about him. So Story had hope.

"It's just very humbling for sure," Story said late in the season, when asked about the respect he was receiving from other teams. "I think it's the most important, especially playing shortstop. I try to take a lot of pride in that. Just to be in that conversation, I take a lot of pride in that, for sure."

Video: COL@SF: Story makes a spectacular barehanded play

In 2016, Story hit 27 homers to establish a record for NL rookie shortstops. He hit 24 in '18, but he also led the NL with 191 strikeouts. Still, his defense was considered a factor in the team reaching the NL Wild Card Game.

"That's one of the great things about playing in the middle of the field," Story said. "If you're not swinging it well, you can always impact the game in a positive way on defense. Just go out there, try to make plays for our pitchers. If they make them hit it on the ground, we can turn it into an out."

Story led the NL with 11 Defensive Runs Saved -- one more than Seager. DRS, however, does not take into account extreme defensive shifts, which the Rockies employ often. And in the Society of American Baseball Research (SABR) Defensive Index, last updated Aug. 27, Story ranked sixth among NL shortstops. The SABR Defensive Index is 25 percent of the Gold Glove Award selection process, with voting by managers and coaches comprising the other 75 percent.

With rating infielders a burgeoning science rather than an exact one -- Statcast™ is still working on metrics for infielders, for example -- the numbers can make many statements. But manager Bud Black, when asked late in the season, said that those who saw Story were impressed enough to discuss his glove.

"He gets overlooked a little bit on that, because everybody talks about his offense and his home runs," Black said. "He's a really good defender, and he should be in the conversation. There are some good ones now. There are some very good defensive shortstops in the Major Leagues. Trevor, I'm sure, is in the conversation this year in other clubhouses.

"I know managers and other coaches ask me about Trevor. I tell them what I think. But the thought that they're asking me tells me something about what they're thinking."

What's next for Story, who turns 25 on Nov. 15, is to leave no question that he's a top defender at his position.

Thomas Harding has covered the Rockies since 2000, and for MLB.com since 2002. Follow him on Twitter @harding_at_mlb and like his Facebook page.

Colorado Rockies, Trevor Story