PHOENIX - The Arizona Diamondbacks (@Dbacks) selected infielder Pavin Smith (@PavinSmith) [pronounced "pay-vin"] with the No. 7 pick (First Round), infielder Drew Ellis (@drewellis10) with the No. 44 pick (Round 2) and catcher Daulton Varsho with the No. 68 pick (Competitive Balance B) on the first day of the 2017
PHOENIX - The Arizona Diamondbacks (@Dbacks) selected infielder Pavin Smith (@PavinSmith) [pronounced "pay-vin"] with the No. 7 pick (First Round), infielder Drew Ellis (@drewellis10) with the No. 44 pick (Round 2) and catcher Daulton Varsho with the No. 68 pick (Competitive Balance B) on the first day of the 2017 MLB First-Year Player Draft.
Pavin Smith (Round 1, Pick 7)
Infielder | B/T: L/L | Age: 21 (2/6/96) | 6-2, 210 | University of Virginia
Drew Ellis (Round 2, Pick 44)
Infielder | B/T: R/R | Age: 21 (12/1/95) | 6-3, 201 | University of Louisville
Daulton Varsho (Competitive Balance B, Pick 68)
Catcher | B/T: L/R | Age: 20 (7/2/96) | 5-10, 200 | University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
- This season, as a junior, he was named a Baseball America Third-Team All-American, a semifinalist for the Johnny Bench Award and a member of the Horizon League All-Academic Team and All-Horizon Second-Team after being tabbed a Collegiate Baseball Preseason All-American.
- In 2017, he led the Horizon League in average (.362), slugging percentage (.643), on-base percentage (.490), triples (6) and walks (46) while ranking fourth in total bases (128), fifth in hits (72), sixth in home runs (11, team high) and seventh in runs scored (47) ... overall in 54 games, he hit .362 (72-for-199) with 11 doubles, 6 triples, 11 homers, 39 RBI, 46 walks and .490 on-base and .643 slugging percentages.
- In 2016, as a sophomore, he was named the Horizon League Player of the Year, ABCA First Team All-Midwest Region and First-Team All-Horizon League ... he led the Horizon League in average (.381), slugging percentage (.610), hits (88), triples (6, which tied the school record) and total bases (141) while ranking third in RBI (51) and doubles (17), fourth in on-base percentage (.447), fifth in home runs (8) and stolen bases (16) and sixth in runs scored (50) ... he threw out 20 runners attempting to steal while being the everyday catcher.
- Overall, he played 3 seasons for the Panthers and in 162 games (154 starts), he hit .335 (199-for-594) with 37 doubles, 16 triples, 24 homers, 124 RBI, 92 walks and .428 on-base and .572 slugging percentages.
- He is a native of Chili, Wisc. and played at Marshfield High School.
- He is the son of Gary, an 8-year Major Leaguer from 1988-95 with the Cubs, Pirates, Reds and Phillies currently working as a professional scout for the Pirates.
- He is named after Darren Daulton, a teammate of his father in 1995 with the Phillies.