BOSTON, MA – Red Sox first baseman Mitch Moreland and his wife Susannah ask fans to join them in raising funds to benefit patients and families at Boston Children’s Hospital for their annual “Christmas in July” fundraiser. Money raised will go towards purchasing crafts, toys, and other necessary items for hospital patients. The Morelands will match all donations up to $10,000.
Donations of any amount can be made now through August 2 by visiting: http://fundraise.childrenshospital.org/goto/christmasinjuly. Examples of items that can be purchased at various donation levels includes:
• $30: Materials for a Slime Day, a popular tactile activity to keep kids distracted and having fun.
• $50: 5 bags for medical play sessions to help kids understand upcoming procedures.
• $100: 10 pacifiers (WubbaNubs) to sooth infants, develop the important sucking reflex, and deliver pain medicine.
• $500: 5 weighted blankets for patients with autism, providing calm and comfort during their hospital stay.
• $5,000: 10 new iPads to help patients with diversion, relaxation, education, and creative expression.
• $10,000: Activities for patients and families who will spend the holidays in the hospital (unit decorations, themed crafts, Santa visits, and more).
This is the third year in a row the Morelands have supported Boston Children’s Hospital through the “Christmas in July” fundraiser. The annual event typically includes a collection of donated items at Fenway Park gates from fans attending games. This year’s fundraiser is being executed entirely online due to the COVID-19 pandemic.