A random walk down Poydras Street: 16 photos from Super Bowl Sunday in New Orleans
The avalanche started around 2 p.m. on Sunday, a rolling wave that gained numbers as it snowballed off Tchopitoulas, Magazine and Picayune onto the wide, palm-lined expanse of Poydras. It's unclear if a mass migration from the banks of the Mississippi up one of New Orleans' major traffic arteries to the Superdome was preplanned, or if the po' boy-fueled masses all spontaneously decided on a raucous, ambling march from various tailgates and preparties to Super Bowl XLVII.
This being the Big Easy, most streets are halfway to a parade at any given time anyway. Behold, 16 moments from the madness:
1. This is traditional Baltimore dress for formal occasions like weddings, bar mitzvahs and Ravens games
2. Quoth the raven: Purple camo was never more popular
3. But even the raven thought a realtree Ray Rice jersey was too much
4. This SUV runs on pure mayonnaise instead of gasoline
5. When you think about it, is wearing football pants the the game any weirder than wearing a football jersey?
6. We finally found Cooper Manning!
7. Walking behind a Vonta Leach jersey doubles your YPS (Yards Per Step) average
8. Tough choice between Steve Young's Bucs jersey or the Joe Montana Chiefs edition
9. He must have been stuck in a duck blind with the Ray Rice jersey guy during the AFC title game
10. In case you're wondering who succeeded Tommy Carcetti as Baltimore's mayor
11. She hammed it up for the camera, then demanded a $1 donation for her time
12. No comment
13. This guy played the same number of snaps as the real Alex Smith
14. Clown parade, bro
15. It takes a real man ...
16. ... to wear a kilt
-- Ian Kay / Cut4