Hockey legend Don Cherry desperately wants Josh Donaldson to start the All-Star Game
Don Cherry wants Donaldson to start All-Star Game
To baseball fans in America, Don Cherry might just be some crazy Col. Sanders lookalike in a suit covered in the fruit from Pac Man. But, to hockey heads in Canada, Cherry might as well be royalty. In fact, he was rated the seventh greatest Canadian back in 2010, so the guy's got some clout north of the border.
Usually Cherry's focused on analyzing hockey, but recently felt compelled to join the MLB All-Star Game debate. Cherry donned his Sunday best and sat down for Rogers Sportsnet in a desperate plea to get Blue Jays third baseman Josh Donaldson into the AL's starting lineup for this year's Midsummer Classic.
Not exactly, but he's pretty close there. The Blue Jays have scored 88 runs in their last 11 games, all of which have been notched in the "win" column. Donaldson leads MLB in runs and total bases. He's also top among AL third baseman in home runs, RBIs, slugging percentage and OPS.
But he's not first among AL third basemen in All-Star voting.
To rectify this (and to get Don Cherry to cool his jets), you can cast up to 35 votes for Donaldson to start at the hot corner in Cincinnati on July 14. Voting ends July 2, 2015, at 11:59 p.m. ET.
And lest you think having a night to sleep on it has made Cherry rethink things, here he is reaffirming his position Monday morning on Twitter:
1) Josh Donaldson has proven he is the best 3rd baseman in the American League. Among the 3rd basemen in the AL he is first in HR's, RBI's,- Don Cherry (@CoachsCornerCBC) June 15, 2015
2) runs scored, slugging percentage. But he is 2 million votes behind the 3rd baseman in Kansas City.- Don Cherry (@CoachsCornerCBC) June 15, 2015
3) We must not let the Kansas City guy start the All Star game ahead of Josh Donaldson. Like I said in Coach's Corner they will say- Don Cherry (@CoachsCornerCBC) June 15, 2015
4) "yes, he is the best but he plays in Canada and did not get the votes." Here's how you can vote http://t.co/5xzqoXOlSU- Don Cherry (@CoachsCornerCBC) June 15, 2015
5) You can vote up to 35 times. As the old saying goes, vote early and vote often. Lets Go Canada!- Don Cherry (@CoachsCornerCBC) June 15, 2015.