Face/Off: Is Matt Harvey the second coming of Nicolas Cage?
Here's the thing about Mets phenom Matt Harvey and celebrated Hollywood star Nicolas Cage: They sort of look alike. Kind of. But the uncanny similarities don't stop there. See also:
- Matt Harvey made his Major League debut against the D-backs in Phoenix. One of Nicolas Cage's first leading roles was in the movie Raising Arizona.
- Sports Illustrated recently hailed Harvey, whose preferred childhood Halloween costume was Batman, as "The Dark Knight of Gotham." Cage is a devoted fan of Superman, so much so that he christened his son Kal-El -- the Man of Steel's Kryptonian birth name.
- Nicolas Cage starred in National Treasure. Matt Harvey is a National League treasure.
- Harvey has a keen interest in style, with John Varvatos, Rag & Bone and Burberry among his favorite designers. Nic, too, has made some memorable fashion choices over the course of his career.
- Matt Harvey's favorite meal in New York is a medium-rare steak. Nicolas Cage also enjoys eating meat, but only if he approves of the animal's mating habits.
- Harvey posed nude in the 2013 edition of ESPN the Magazine's "Body Issue." Nicolas Cage once woke up to find a naked man eating a Fudgesicle at the foot of his bed.
- Nicolas Cage has eaten hallucinogenic mushrooms with his cat. Matt Harvey doesn't have a cat, but maybe he will, one day.
- Over his heart, Matt Harvey has a tattoo of a note written by his late aunt. On his back, Cage has a tattoo of a monitor lizard wearing a top hat. (Really.)
- Nicolas Cage is an anagram for "laconic sage," which is kind of interesting. Matt Harvey is good "at math, very," which is also kind of interesting.
After a Civil War-era photo of a man who looks remarkably like Cage surfaced online in 2011, the actor was (jokingly) rumored to be an ageless vampire. We're not ruling it out.
-- Molly Fitzpatrick / MLB.com