Starting Nine: Three for two
Many things are happening -- on Cut4, in baseball and out there in the rest of the world. Here are nine you need to know about today:
1. Dioner Navarro went 3-for-3 on Wednesday with three home runs to help defeat the White Sox:
Meanwhile, in Baltimore, Ryan Zimmerman hit homers in each of his first three at-bats. These games marked the first three-homer outings for both players, as well as only the 14th time in MLB history that two batters have pulled off this achievement on the same day:
2. Autobots, transform and throw out (the first pitch):
3. The only thing scarier than seeing a giant bee floating over your head is turning around to see it's being dangled on a line by a giant parrot:
4. Cole Hamels tried out a second career as Mick Billmeyer's personal police detail:
5. In the latest installment of our Mariano Farewell Tracker, we explore the Mets' parting gifts to the retiring Yankees closer, which include an authentic FDNY call box (awesome) and a blown save (... less awesome, for Mo and the Yankees anyway).
6. It's been almost 24 hours and we're still watching the GIF of this crazy fan catch. Someone please send food and water.
7. If this Minor League team was looking for a new mascot, they now have at least one great candidate:
8. This is what a five-minute storm did to a Virginia high school's baseball diamond:
9. Neil Patrick Harris has been selected to host both this year's Emmy Awards and Tony Awards. Allow us to review the ceremonies in advance:
-- Cut4 Staff