Privacy Notice for California Job Applicants
This Privacy Notice for California Job Applicants applies solely to those who reside in the State of California and are a job applicant to, an employee of, owner of, director of, officer of, or a contractor (“consumers” or “you”) of Major League Baseball and its affiliates. We adopt this notice to comply with the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (CCPA) and any terms defined in the CCPA have the same meaning when used in this Notice.
We collect information that identifies, relates to, describes, references, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer, household, or device (“personal information”). Personal information does not include:
- Publicly available information from government records.
- Deidentified or aggregated consumer information.
- Information excluded from the CCPA’s scope, like:
- health or medical information covered by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) and the California Confidentiality of Medical Information Act (CMIA) or clinical trial data;
- personal information covered by certain sector-specific privacy laws, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA) or California Financial Information Privacy Act (FIPA), and the Driver’s Privacy Protection Act of 1994.
In particular, we will collect the following categories of personal information from you:
- Identifiers (A real name, alias, postal address, Internet Protocol address, email address).
- Personal information categories listed in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e)). (such as, a name, address, telephone number, education, employment, employment history).
- Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law. (such as, age (40 years or older), race, physical or mental disability, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy or childbirth and related medical conditions), veteran or military status).
- Biometric information.
- Professional or employment-related information. (such as, current or past job history).
- Non-public education information (per the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. Section 1232g, 34 C.F.R. Part 99)). (such as, education records directly related to a student maintained by an educational institution or party acting on its behalf, such as grades, transcripts, class lists, student schedules, student identification codes, student financial information, or student disciplinary records).
We obtain the categories of personal information listed above from the following categories of sources:
- Directly from you. For example, if you agree to provide the information as part of the application process and through your role as an employee, owner, director, officer, or a contractor of Major League Baseball.
- Third-parties. For example, from a reference supplied by you.
We may use the personal information we collect for one or more of the following purposes within the context of your role as a job applicant to, an employee of, owner of, director of, officer of, or a contractor of Major League Baseball:
· To evaluate you as a possible employee, director, officer, or contractor.
· To manage the performance of job duties.
· To fulfill or meet the reason you provided the information. For example, if you share your bank account number, we will use that information to process your compensation.
· To respond to law enforcement requests and as required by applicable law, court order, or governmental regulations.
· To effectively process payroll.
· To administer and maintain employee benefit plans including group health plans, 401(k) plans and other welfare and retirement plans and perquisites.
Major League Baseball recognizes that protecting your personal information is an ongoing responsibility and so it will update this privacy notice as it undertakes new practices involving your personal information. We reserve the right to amend this privacy notice at our discretion and at any time. Because of this, Major League Baseball advises that you check this privacy notice from time to time in order to familiarize yourself with any updates. Your continuance in providing services to Major League Baseball constitutes your acceptance of such changes.
If you have any questions or comments about this notice or the ways in which Major League Baseball collects and uses your personal information described here, please do not hesitate to contact us by email at [email protected]
Or write to us:
Major League Baseball
1271 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10022
Attn: Human Resources Department
Last updated July 2020