Cut4 Postseason Primer: Detroit Tigers
From 30 World Series hopefuls, only a few remain. In case you haven't been following every contender, here's a catch-up on what you missed and what to expect next. In this edition: The Detroit Tigers.
The reigning American League champions claimed their third consecutive AL Central title this season and will look to make another World Series run behind Cy Young contender Max Scherzer and MVP favorite Miguel Cabrera.
Detroit provided no shortage of memorable moments along the way, both of the ferocious Tiger kind and the more cuddly. Here are five favorites:
5. Victor Martinez refused to give Salvador Perez the satisfaction of tagging him out at the plate...
While Prince Fielder magically compelled runners to give themselves up without a fight.
4. In 2013, Tigers fans were as fiercely devoted to their team as ever ... some more than others.
3. The Tigers sent six players to the 2013 All-Star Game, the most of any franchise. Although he didn't make it onto skipper Jim Leyland's American League team, Joaquin Benoit's Final Vote campaign strategy won him a starting spot in our hearts.
At the All-Star Game, Prince Fielder hit a triple. Yes, a triple. Yes, Prince Fielder. This was his reaction.
2. Jose Valverde and Prince Fielder discovered doppelgangers in, respectively, the Comerica Park and Citi Field stands.
1. Thanks to Miggy and Anibal Sanchez, no one in the dugout ever went hungry.
So, what can we expect from the Tigers in October? A few predictions:
A Max Scherzer doppelganger will appear, possibly in the form of a kitten with heterochromia.
If the playoffs take the Tigers to Fenway, everyone will sing along to "Sweet Caroline."