A new season is here, so enjoy a curated playlist of songs for its official start
Opening Day is upon us. With that in mind, and with all of our ears, eyes, and hearts ready for another few months of homers, strikeouts, dazzling defensive plays and everything else that makes the game "the game," enjoy a Spotify playlist of songs specially selected and curated for this time of the year.
The songs range from familiar, you've-heard-this-all-the-time-at-the-ballpark anthems (like John Fogerty's "Centerfield" and Bruce Springsteen's "Glory Days") to more aesthetic songs pertaining to the actual season itself (like the Beatles' "Here Comes the Sun"). There are also some songs more in line with the concept of, "Hey, baseball's back again!" as well as some literally about baseball, too! Enjoy.
1. Nancy Bea Hefley, "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" -- a classic turned in by the Dodgers' longtime organist, the great Nancy Bea.
2. Thin Lizzy, "The Boys Are Back in Town" -- well, they are.
3. Nelly ft. Murphy Lee, "Batter Up" -- a baseball-themed hip-hop anthem from St. Louis' own Nelly.
4. Bruce Springsteen, "Glory Days" -- we all had that friend who was a big baseball player back in high school, right?
5. Simon & Garfunkel, "April Come She Will" -- and she will.
6. John Fogerty, "Centerfield" -- a ballpark staple.
7. The Beatles, "Here Comes the Sun" -- can be taken literally, in terms of weather warming up, and metaphorically.
8. Bob Dylan, "Catfish" -- Dylan's ode to the great Catfish Hunter.
9. Stravinsky & Bernstein, "The Rite of Spring" -- another seasonal gem.
10. Alabama, "The Cheap Seats" -- is there really such a thing as a "bad seat" at a ballgame? Didn't think so.
11. Jimi Hendrix, "The Star-Spangled Banner" -- self-explanatory, no?
12. The Intruders, "Love is Like a Baseball Game" -- yes, baseball as a metaphor for love!
13. Eddie Vedder, "All the Way" -- the Pearl Jam front man's ode to his Cubs.
14. Neil Diamond, "Sweet Caroline" -- as much of a trip to Fenway Park as seeing the Green Monster itself.
15. Jerry Jeff Walker, "Nolan Ryan (He's a Hero to Us All)" -- he is, and he's well worth his own song.
16. The Ataris, "The Boys of Summer" -- they're back.