Have no fear, stolen base fans: The Royals re-signed Terrance Gore to a MiLB deal
The non-tender deadline passed on Friday, meaning a number of interesting players are now free agents. That includes starting pitchers
Fortunately, for all fans of basepath demons, the Royals quickly re-upped him to a Minor League deal as reported by MLB.com's Jeffrey Flanagan:
Source confirms that the Royals indeed will try to re-sign Terrance Gore to a Minor League deal soon. They see value in him, but because he was out of options didn't want to be forced to commit him to 25-man roster next spring.— Jeffrey Flanagan (@FlannyMLB) December 2, 2017
If you were wondering why this is important, let me count the ways:
1. This triptych of photos. Can a team really not afford to have a player like this in the organization?
- He's one of the few major Leaguers to wear No. 0.
- His uniform number matches his hits total. This despite Gore appearing in 49 Major League ballgames.
4. He has more stolen bases (21), than career plate appearances (14).
- He's only 10 steals behind Herb Washington for the most career stolen bases without a hit.
Washington, as you may know, was a sprinter that hadn't played baseball since high school until Charlie Finley signed him.
The next person behind Gore and Washington on the most steals without a hit: Mel Stocker, with four.
And now, if Gore can force his way back to the Royals Major League squad, he'll have a chance of continuing his assault on that very strange leaderboard. When that day comes, we can only hope he'll have new tiny trophy to caress.