- California softball standout wins Jennie Finch Award
VERO BEACH, Fla. -- Shock ran through Grace Shary’s body as she realized what she had accomplished. Shary was the first recipient of this season’s Jennie Finch Empowerment Award series, presented by ARM & HAMMER. The award was presented to Shary at the Softball Elite Development Invitational at the Jackie...
- VideoMLB ID Tour visits Dallas
More than 60 participants were on hand as staff and coaches scouted inner city talent for the MLB Development Program
- Reds Community Fund pays tribute to Jackie Robinson
Last weekend, the Reds Community Fund hosted a collegiate doubleheader and seven games featuring local high schools in celebration of Jackie Robinson Day on April 15 at the P&G MLB Cincinnati Reds Youth Academy. The high school matchups on Saturday were part of the 11th annual Skyline Chili Reds Futures...
- College next for Youth Academy standouts
There was a lot to celebrate for young baseball and softball players in Compton, Calif., and New Orleans on Saturday as Major League Baseball’s Youth Academies in those areas hosted ceremonial collegiate commitment letter signings at their facilities. A group of academy members participated in the ceremony, while others had...
- VideoCelebrity Golf Invitational
Torii Hunter and Gary Matthews Jr. co-host the annual Celebrity Golf Invitational benefitting MLB Youth Academies in Compton and New Orleans
- VideoMike Scioscia joins High Heat
Mike Scioscia looks back at his run with Team USA in the Olympics as well as the Braves' World Series victory over the Astros
- VideoLoney on the MLB Youth Foundation
James Loney joins Hot Stove to discuss the Celebrity Golf Invitational to benefit the MLB Youth Foundation and his thoughts on Shohei Ohtani
- VideoWeek 1 of Hank Aaron Invitational
MLB Youth Academy participants discuss the Hank Aaron Invitational, which serves as a youth-oriented, on-field diversity initiative
- MLB commits up to $150M to Players Alliance
DENVER -- Major League Baseball announced a historic financial commitment of up to $150 million to The Players Alliance. The announcement was made by Commissioner Rob Manfred at Coors Field shortly before Monday night’s Home Run Derby....
- Iowa's Field of Dreams to host youth game
A pair of 14U teams representing Chicago and New York City will square off in a special exhibition game in Dyersville, Iowa, on Aug. 11 -- the eve of the Yankees-White Sox showdown in the "MLB at Field of Dreams Presented by GEICO." The 14U game, featuring teams from DREAM...
About MLB Youth Academy
Major League Baseball's first Urban Youth Academy was founded in 2006 in Compton, California. As a not-for-profit organization, the UYA aims to set the standard for baseball and softball instruction, teach and educate in Urban America, and enhance the quality of life in the surrounding communities. Major League Baseball has set out four facets to the Urban Youth Initiative:
• Grow the games of baseball and softball while cultivating diversity in all aspects of the game
• Make meaningful contributions to the development of urban communities
• Provide safe and organized recreational activities for urban youth
• Prepare urban high school players for college and professional baseball and softball programs
Our coaching staff consists of highly experienced baseball and softball personnel. We specialize in fundamental instruction by way of open workouts. Our workouts give members practical and theoretical training on the fundamentals of the game, while our educational component aids students in the classroom. We believe the skills learned in baseball and softball can be applied beyond the field, helping to shape a better community.
- 2006: MLB celebrates the grand opening of the first Youth Academy in Compton, Calif.
- 2010: The Houston Astros MLB Youth Academy opens in Sylvester Turner Park in Houston, Tex.
- 2012: A new MLB Youth Academy opens in New Orleans, La. - the first in a non-MLB city.
- 2014: With the help of MLB, the Washington Nationals Youth Baseball Academy in Washington D.C., and the Cincinnati P&G MLB Youth Academy Cincinnati, Ohio both open
- 2015: The outside field portion of the Philadelphia Phillies MLB Youth Academy officially opens for playing Philadelphia, Pa.
- 2016: The Phillies unveil the indoor portion of their Academy to complete the first two-site MLB Youth Academy. Additionally, MLB, DREAM and New York State announce plans to build a Youth Academy in Roberto Clemente State Park in the Bronx, N.Y.
- 2017: The soft-opening for both the Kansas City Royals MLB Urban Youth Academy in Kansas City, Mo., and the Texas Rangers MLB Youth Academy in West Dallas, Texas.
- In Progress: Academies are set to open in The Bronx, N.Y., Chicago, Ill., and San Francisco, Calif.