- VideoReds host food drive at Academy
The Reds, partnered with the Freestore Foodbank and other local companies, host a drive-thru food drive event for families in need
- Big names play golf to benefit Compton Youth Academy
NEWPORT COAST, Calif. -- On a picturesque day in sunny Southern California, several current and former MLB players teed it up at Pelican Hill Golf Club for the annual Celebrity Golf Invitational to benefit the MLB Youth Academy in Compton. Former Major League outfielders Gary Matthews Jr. and Torii Hunter,...
- Video2023 Celebrity Golf Invitational
Former teammates Torii Hunter and Gary Matthews Jr. host the Celebrity Golf Invitational to benefit the MLB Youth Academy in Compton
- VideoRangers Youth Academy recognized
The Rangers Youth Academy athletes are recognized before Game 2 of the World Series
- VideoWorld Series PLAY BALL Event
MLB and the Rangers host youth from the Dallas and Fort Worth communities for a special World Series PLAY BALL event prior to Game 2
- VideoYouth Academy Pitching Tour
As part of her Youth Academy Pitching Tour, Jennie Finch met with 30 softball players for a clinic at the Phillies' UYA Softball Fields
- VideoMoore on becoming full-time ump
Malachi Moore joins Hot Stove to discuss being named a full-time umpire for the upcoming 2023 season
- 'Major League or bust': Moore paves way for Black umps
When Malachi Moore’s phone rang on the Wednesday before Christmas, he saw an incoming call from Rich Rieker, director of umpire development for Major League Baseball. Moore was in his childhood bedroom in Compton, Calif., the one he shared with his late brother, Nehemiah, while they were growing up in...
- VideoCelebrity Golf Invitational 2022
Torii Hunter and Gary Matthews Jr. co-host the annual Celebrity Golf Invitational benefitting the MLB Youth Academy in Compton, California
- Stars tee it up for Compton's Youth Academy
NEWPORT COAST, Calif. -- The baseball stars were out at Pelican Hill Golf Club on Monday, as several current and former Major Leaguers participated in the annual Celebrity Golf Invitational to benefit the MLB Youth Academy in Compton. Former Angels teammates Torii Hunter and Gary Matthews Jr. hosted the event,...
About MLB Youth Academy
Major League Baseball's first Urban Youth Academy was founded in 2006 in Compton, California. As a not-for-profit organization, the UYA aims to set the standard for baseball and softball instruction, teach and educate in Urban America, and enhance the quality of life in the surrounding communities. Major League Baseball has set out four facets to the Urban Youth Initiative:
• Grow the games of baseball and softball while cultivating diversity in all aspects of the game
• Make meaningful contributions to the development of urban communities
• Provide safe and organized recreational activities for urban youth
• Prepare urban high school players for college and professional baseball and softball programs
Our coaching staff consists of highly experienced baseball and softball personnel. We specialize in fundamental instruction by way of open workouts. Our workouts give members practical and theoretical training on the fundamentals of the game, while our educational component aids students in the classroom. We believe the skills learned in baseball and softball can be applied beyond the field, helping to shape a better community.
- 2006: MLB celebrates the grand opening of the first Youth Academy in Compton, Calif.
- 2010: The Houston Astros MLB Youth Academy opens in Sylvester Turner Park in Houston, Tex.
- 2012: A new MLB Youth Academy opens in New Orleans, La. - the first in a non-MLB city.
- 2014: With the help of MLB, the Washington Nationals Youth Baseball Academy in Washington D.C., and the Cincinnati P&G MLB Youth Academy Cincinnati, Ohio both open
- 2015: The outside field portion of the Philadelphia Phillies MLB Youth Academy officially opens for playing Philadelphia, Pa.
- 2016: The Phillies unveil the indoor portion of their Academy to complete the first two-site MLB Youth Academy. Additionally, MLB, DREAM and New York State announce plans to build a Youth Academy in Roberto Clemente State Park in the Bronx, N.Y.
- 2017: The soft-opening for both the Kansas City Royals MLB Urban Youth Academy in Kansas City, Mo., and the Texas Rangers MLB Youth Academy in West Dallas, Texas.
- In Progress: Academies are set to open in The Bronx, N.Y., Chicago, Ill., and San Francisco, Calif.