Diversity showcased at Andre Dawson ClassicSix of the eight coaches involved in the Andre Dawson Classic, named after the Hall of Famer and alum of tournament participant Florida A&M University, are African American.
Grandy sets example for baseball-playing cousinFamily ties are common in baseball. But it's notable that Calvin Rucker's second cousin is Curtis Granderson, a veteran of 15 Major League seasons who is, according to Rucker, "one of the best family members and friends I could have asked for.
VideoWatley debuts at youth clinicsNatasha Watley, Sahvanna Jaquish and Tamara Holmes participate in National Girls and Women in Sports Day Play Ball events in Compton, CA
Watley debuts in new role at clinic for kidsIn spite of some uncustomary Southern California rain in Saturday's early hours, Natasha Watley excelled in her first appearance as Major League Baseball's youth softball ambassador.
Sharon Robinson tours KC's youth academySharon Robinson walked past the entrance mural that includes a portrait of her father, Jackie Robinson, as a member of the Kansas City Monarchs. She moved on to the Don and Jean Wagner classroom, and she made subsequent stops at the athletic training room and the spacious indoor baseball diamond, with its bright green turf.
VideoPlay Ball visits New OrleansMLB's Play Ball initiative visits New Orleans, where youth from around Louisiana receives instruction from leaders like Jennie Finch
Play Ball educates, inspires at New Orleans clinicNothing, not a light morning fog or chilly temperatures, was going to dampen the enthusiasm of a group of about 350 girls and boys who gathered Saturday to learn some baseball skills and celebrate National Girls and Women in Sports Day at the MLB Youth Academy in New Orleans East.
VideoWomen's baseball-softball clinicMLB and Jennie Finch honors Girls and Women in Sports Day by holding MLB's first female only baseball-softball clinic in New Orleans
Puig takes in Cincy, visits Urban Youth AcademyNew Reds outfielder Yasiel Puig wasn't going to let subzero temperatures keep him from warming up to his new city. The Cuba native and Los Angeles resident was busy Wednesday getting to know his surroundings.
VideoPinkston coach on AcademyPinkston High School Baseball head coach Cortez Cole talks about playing at the Rangers Youth Academy
Rangers work out at Youth AcademyA facility built for children has become the daily workout spot for the Rangers players this offseason.
Read about MLB Youth Programs
About MLB Youth Academy
Major League Baseball's first Urban Youth Academy was founded in 2006 in Compton, California. As a not-for-profit organization, the UYA aims to set the standard for baseball and softball instruction, teach and educate in Urban America, and enhance the quality of life in the surrounding communities. Major League Baseball has set out four facets to the Urban Youth Initiative:
• Grow the games of baseball and softball while cultivating diversity in all aspects of the game
• Make meaningful contributions to the development of urban communities
• Provide safe and organized recreational activities for urban youth
• Prepare urban high school players for college and professional baseball and softball programs
Our coaching staff consists of highly experienced baseball and softball personnel. We specialize in fundamental instruction by way of open workouts. Our workouts give members practical and theoretical training on the fundamentals of the game, while our educational component aids students in the classroom. We believe the skills learned in baseball and softball can be applied beyond the field, helping to shape a better community.
- 2006: MLB celebrates the grand opening of the first Youth Academy in Compton, Calif.
- 2010: The Houston Astros MLB Youth Academy opens in Sylvester Turner Park in Houston, Tex.
- 2012: A new MLB Youth Academy opens in New Orleans, La. - the first in a non-MLB city.
- 2014: With the help of MLB, the Washington Nationals Youth Baseball Academy in Washington D.C., and the Cincinnati P&G MLB Youth Academy Cincinnati, Ohio both open
- 2015: The outside field portion of the Philadelphia Phillies MLB Youth Academy officially opens for playing Philadelphia, Pa.
- 2016: The Phillies unveil the indoor portion of their Academy to complete the first two-site MLB Youth Academy. Additionally, MLB, DREAM and New York State announce plans to build a Youth Academy in Roberto Clemente State Park in the Bronx, N.Y.
- 2017: The soft-opening for both the Kansas City Royals MLB Urban Youth Academy in Kansas City, Mo., and the Texas Rangers MLB Youth Academy in West Dallas, Texas.
- In Progress: Academies are set to open in The Bronx, N.Y., Chicago, Ill., and San Francisco, Calif.