- VideoMoore on becoming full-time ump
Malachi Moore joins Hot Stove to discuss being named a full-time umpire for the upcoming 2023 season
- 'Major League or bust': Moore paves way for Black umps
When Malachi Moore’s phone rang on the Wednesday before Christmas, he saw an incoming call from Rich Rieker, director of umpire development for Major League Baseball. Moore was in his childhood bedroom in Compton, Calif., the one he shared with his late brother, Nehemiah, while they were growing up in...
- VideoCelebrity Golf Invitational 2022
Torii Hunter and Gary Matthews Jr. co-host the annual Celebrity Golf Invitational benefitting the MLB Youth Academy in Compton, California
- Stars tee it up for Compton's Youth Academy
NEWPORT COAST, Calif. -- The baseball stars were out at Pelican Hill Golf Club on Monday, as several current and former Major Leaguers participated in the annual Celebrity Golf Invitational to benefit the MLB Youth Academy in Compton. Former Angels teammates Torii Hunter and Gary Matthews Jr. hosted the event,...
- VideoMLB Develops Award winners
MLB welcomes the MLB Youth Academy Youth of the Year Award winners at Game 2 of the World Series
- VideoGonzalez wins Breakthrough MVP
Texas Rangers Academy athlete Ana Gonzalez was named MVP for her performance at the Oklahoma City Softball Breakthrough Series
- Champs crowned in All-Star week baseball, softball championships
COMPTON, Calif. -- The Compton Youth Academy proved to be a gracious host for this week's baseball and softball tournaments among MLB programs from urban areas. Perhaps it was too gracious of a host. Compton's baseball and softball teams each fell in the championship games Monday, with the MLB Develops...
- At Compton academy, Commissioner marks return of All-Star youth events
COMPTON, Calif. -- Standing at the edge of the baseball field on the third-base side, MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred had a prime spot to watch Sunday’s All-Star Commissioner’s Cup action. At the Compton Youth Academy, where MLB’s movement to revive baseball in urban communities began in 2006, Manfred watched under-17...
- VideoCommish Cup Opening Ceremonies
The Commissioner's Cup Opening Ceremonies kick off All-Star Weekend in Los Angeles with an emotional reflection on what it has accomplished
- VideoManfred on MLB Youth Academy
MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred shares his thoughts on the MLB Youth Academy and its growing success in Compton, California
About MLB Youth Academy
Major League Baseball's first Urban Youth Academy was founded in 2006 in Compton, California. As a not-for-profit organization, the UYA aims to set the standard for baseball and softball instruction, teach and educate in Urban America, and enhance the quality of life in the surrounding communities. Major League Baseball has set out four facets to the Urban Youth Initiative:
• Grow the games of baseball and softball while cultivating diversity in all aspects of the game
• Make meaningful contributions to the development of urban communities
• Provide safe and organized recreational activities for urban youth
• Prepare urban high school players for college and professional baseball and softball programs
Our coaching staff consists of highly experienced baseball and softball personnel. We specialize in fundamental instruction by way of open workouts. Our workouts give members practical and theoretical training on the fundamentals of the game, while our educational component aids students in the classroom. We believe the skills learned in baseball and softball can be applied beyond the field, helping to shape a better community.
- 2006: MLB celebrates the grand opening of the first Youth Academy in Compton, Calif.
- 2010: The Houston Astros MLB Youth Academy opens in Sylvester Turner Park in Houston, Tex.
- 2012: A new MLB Youth Academy opens in New Orleans, La. - the first in a non-MLB city.
- 2014: With the help of MLB, the Washington Nationals Youth Baseball Academy in Washington D.C., and the Cincinnati P&G MLB Youth Academy Cincinnati, Ohio both open
- 2015: The outside field portion of the Philadelphia Phillies MLB Youth Academy officially opens for playing Philadelphia, Pa.
- 2016: The Phillies unveil the indoor portion of their Academy to complete the first two-site MLB Youth Academy. Additionally, MLB, DREAM and New York State announce plans to build a Youth Academy in Roberto Clemente State Park in the Bronx, N.Y.
- 2017: The soft-opening for both the Kansas City Royals MLB Urban Youth Academy in Kansas City, Mo., and the Texas Rangers MLB Youth Academy in West Dallas, Texas.
- In Progress: Academies are set to open in The Bronx, N.Y., Chicago, Ill., and San Francisco, Calif.