Welcome players and teach them about the Junior Giants philosophy and non-competitive spirit.
COACHES & TEAM PARENTS
At Bat This Week
Collect your HEALTH Word of the Week pack.
Introduce the Health program by reviewing the following items with players:
- Healthy Habits tracking sheet
- Belt's Boot Camp: Video on this page with exercise ideas from Brandon Belt
Word of the Week Talk
- Define the word HEALTH: Taking care of your body by eating good foods, drinking water and exercising.
- Begin a conversation about health. Remind your players that water is better for our bodies than sugary drinks (soda, juice and sports drinks). Drinking water hydrates and keeps our cells and organs functioning properly. Athletes like the Giants drink lots of water every day to perform their best on the field. Encourage a soda-free summer for the rest of the season!
Next, ask your players the following questions:
T-Ball (5-6 years old)
- Name your favorite fruit or vegetable.
- What is exercise? Why is it good for you?
- What is one healthy activity that you can do at home with your family this week?
- How many glasses of water do you think you drink each day? Can you drink more?
Minors (7-9 years old)
- Name as many fruits and vegetables as you can. Name other healthy snacks and drinks.
- What do athletes do to get ready for their games and practices? (Reference Healthy Habits Poster)
- How can you exercise at school or at home?
- Why is it important to drink water every day?
Majors (10-13 years old) & Seniors (14-18 years old)
- Why is it important to eat fruits and vegetables? How can it help your athletic performance?
- What is your favorite healthy snack?
- What are three new physical activities you want to try this summer?
- What is one sugary drink you could replace with water this season?
BELT'S BOOT CAMP
Report to Boot Camp! Check out gojrgiants.org and follow Brandon Belt as he teaches you his favorite exercises.
End of Practice
- Practice the Junior Giants Cheer and continue to chant it together at every game and practice this season!
- Pass Health Baseball Card to all players and remind them to enter the answer to this week's trivia question on gojrgiants.org as part of the Junior Giants Sweepstakes!
- Provide a water bottle to players who successfully completed their Healthy Habits tracking sheet.
- Encourage players to follow Belt's Boot Camp on gojrgiants.org so they have fun exercises to try this summer.
- Take a photo of your team with their water bottles and post it to Facebook, Instagram or Twitter using the hashtag #jrgiants.
- Make sure you check with players' parents before you post a photo of their child.
Items to Track in SIPLAY This Week:
- Health Card
- Healthy Habits Tracking Sheet
- Reading Rewards Earned
On Deck Next Week:
Preview Strike Out Bullying Week by:
- Encouraging players to wear their Strike Out Bullying sweatbands to remind them of the pledge they took at the beginning of the season.
- Prompting players to go to Week 3 of this website to see Giants players recite the Strike Out Bullying Pledge.
- Reminding players to turn in their Strike Out Bullying Contest entry next week, if they have not already. When they turn it in, they'll receive a drawstring backpack!