Welcome players and teach them about the Junior Giants philosophy and non-competitive spirit.
COACHES & TEAM PARENTS
At Bat This Week
- Collect your STRIKE OUT BULLYING Word of the Week pack.
- Introduce Strike Out Bullying Week by reviewing the Strike Out Bullying Pledge.
I am a Junior Giant. I Pledge to Strike Out Bullying by...
- Respecting my teammates, coaches, family and friends.
- Giving up put-downs.
- Standing up for what is right.
- Treating others the way I would like to be treated.
- Praising people and helping others.
- Showing my friends that a bully-free life is more fun.
Word of the Week Talk
- Define the word BULLYING: Putting someone down by leaving them out, making fun of them, or physically hurting them.
- Begin a conversation on bullying prevention by asking the players the following questions:
T-Ball (5-6 years old)
- Think of a good friend. What makes them so special?
- When you see someone being mean to another person, is it better to stay quiet or speak up?
- What are some ways we can be nice to others?
- Should we only be nice to our friends? Or should we also be nice to people who are different than us?
Minors (7-9 years old)
- What does a good friend do?
- What is a bully? How do bullies make others feel?
- What can you do if you see someone being bullied?
- How can we be a friend to someone who is different than us? Think of something you might have in common with someone you don't know yet, like a love of animals, a sport or your favorite food!
Majors (10-13 years old) & Seniors (14-18 years old)
- Have you ever been bullied? How did it make you feel?
- Have you ever seen another person being bullied? Did you say anything?
- What does it mean to be a bystander? What can we say or do when we see someone being bullied?
- Why is it important to respect all people, regardless of their gender/race/religion other factors?
End of Practice
- Remind your players that it's important to participate in the Strike Out Bullying Contest (located in the Player & Parent Handbook). Encourage players to submit a piece of artwork, song, video or poem that emphasizes the theme "Respect."
- Provide drawstring backpacks to players who turned in their Strike Out Bullying Contest entry.
- Pass out the Strike Out Bullying Card to all players and remind them to enter the answer to this week's trivia question on gojrgiants.org as a part of the Junior Giants Sweepstakes!
- Take a photo of your team with their Strike Out Bullying contest entries and post it to Facebook, Instagram or Twitter using the hashtag #jrgiants. Make sure you check with players' parents before you post a photo of their child.
Items to Track in SIPLAY This Week:
- Strike Out Bullying Card
- Strike Out Bullying Pledge (if not already tracked)
- Strike Out Bullying Contest entry
- Reading rewards earned
On Deck Next Week:
- Challenging players to reach the next base in the Round the Bases Reading Program.
- Remind players that if they reach the Home Run level as a team they will be invited to the Junior Giants Festival at AT&T Park (or for T-ball teams, that they receive a backpack)!