Welcome players and teach them about the Junior Giants philosophy and non-competitive spirit.
COACHES & TEAM PARENTS
At Bat This Week
- Collect your EDUCATION Word of the Week pack.
- Introduce the Education program by reviewing the Round the Bases Reading Program.
- Encourage players to read all summer long and earn prizes along the way!
- Have players track the amount of minutes they read on their Reading Scorecard.
- As a bonus, encourage players to read to younger family members or friends to include them in the fun!
READING LEVELS & PRIZES
1st BASE | Read the Player & Parent Handbook receive a Giants bookmark.
2nd BASE | Read for 240 minutes to receive Giants mini colored pencils.
3rd BASE | Read for 480 minutes to receive a Giants pencil and pencil case.
HOME RUN! | Read for 720 minutes to receive a Giants notebook.
If your ENTIRE TEAM reaches the Home Run level, the team is eligible to attend the Junior Giants Festival at AT&T Park!
(Please note that T-ball teams will receive a backpack instead of an invitation to the Festival.)
Word of the Week Talk
- Define the word EDUCATION: Learning more about the world through school, books or other activities.
- Begin a conversation about education by asking the players the following questions:
T-Ball (5-6 years old)
- Do you have a favorite book that you read with your family? What book is it?
- What is your favorite part about going to school?
- Why is going to school important?
Minors (7-9 years old)
- What are your favorite books/stories? Favorite authors?
- What is your favorite subject in school?
- What do you want to be when you grow up?
Majors (10-13 years old) & Seniors (14-18 years old)
- Can you name one memorable teacher you have had? What made them so great?
- Where would you like to go to college? What would you want to learn in college?
- What kind of job do you see yourself having when you're older?
End of Practice
- Pass out the Education Baseball Card to all players and remind them to enter the answer to this week's trivia question on gojrgiants.org as a part of the Junior Giants Sweepstakes!
- Have players show their Reading Scorecards and pass out rewards accordingly.
- Continue to encourage reading all summer by showing players the other rewards they can earn.
- Take a photo of your team with books or their reading rewards and post it to Facebook, Instagram or Twitter using the hashtag #jrgiants. Make sure to check with players' parents before you post a photo of their child.
Items to Track in SIPLAY This Week:
- Education Card
- Reading rewards earned