PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. -- Kyle Kendrick and Eduardo Rodriguez will stick around with the Red Sox for a while, the former because he keeps putting up zeros and the latter because the Red Sox asked him not to pitch for Venezuela in the World Baseball Classic.
Kendrick, the 32-year-old right-hander signed to a Minor League contract, struck out six in five shutout innings in Wednesday's 3-3 tie with the Rays.
"I'm not trying to strike out guys at all. I'm not a strikeout guy," said Kendrick, who has 15 straight scoreless innings and a 1.50 ERA. "I'm just trying to get some early contact and get ahead."
He did not pitch in the Majors last year and was released by the Braves and Angels.
"Everyone says that it's just Spring Training, but it's not just Spring Training for me," Kendrick said. "Last year I went into camp thinking it was just Spring Training, and I had two starts and was released. I want to go out there and show them I'm healthy and show them I can pitch."
So far, he has shown that to manager John Farrell.
"He's been very consistent, as we had hoped coming into camp," Farrell said. "I know he's slated to be out there again so we'll see how this thing continues to unfold. I will say today he's been everything we could have asked."
Rodriguez, listed as Boston's No. 3 starter, is scheduled to pitch Friday in Fort Myers against the Astros instead of joining Venezuela's team at the Classic. He is on the "designated pitch pool" and had been invited to join the team for the second round.
"I think Eduardo felt pride for his native country, but given what's he's come through, the path that he's on, we felt it was best that he remain with us," Farrell said.
After injuring his knee in winter ball, Rodriguez is 2-0 with a 3.00 ERA in three spring starts.
"This was a collective decision, and not solely Eduardo's," Farrell said. "We took it out of his hands and that's basically what happened."