The Rays have teamed up with local YMCA's, the United Way Suncoast, the Juvenile Welfare Board, the Children's Board of Hillsborough County, and 7-Eleven to encourage children and families to be water smart from the start. The program provides access to life-saving water safety programs to both children and their parents through their local YMCA's in Pinellas and Hillsborough counties.
Swim Safety Tips
- Supervise all water activities, never leaving a child alone.
- Throw don't go. Always toss a flotation device, never jump in to save.
- Always keep a phone near the pool to call 911 in case there is an emergency.
- Never allow children to swim or play in an unlit pool after dark.
- Keep non-pool toys like weights or bicycles away from the pool area.
- Test your child's swim skills at the Y absolutely free of charge.
- Add barriers around your pool, keeping all doors and gates locked.
- Remember to remove inflatable toys from the pool area when not in use.
- Never permit diving in the shallow end of the pool.
- Make sure all gates and doors to the pool are self-closing and self-latching.
For more information on how you can join the YMCA's Be Water Smart From The Start program please go to www.ymcatampabay.org