It had been more than four decades since New York’s streets were charged by the revelry of a true “Subway Series,” and as Joe Torre’s players carried their joyous manager off the Shea Stadium turf in October 2000, that five-game Fall Classic between the Mets and Yankees had already been
It had been more than four decades since New York’s streets were charged by the revelry of a true “Subway Series,” and as Joe Torre’s players carried their joyous manager off the Shea Stadium turf in October 2000, that five-game Fall Classic between the Mets and Yankees had already been cemented as an unforgettable affair.
It has been 20 years now since the Bombers and Bobby Valentine’s Amazin's clashed for the Commissioner’s Trophy, an event that Torre’s Safe at Home Foundation and the YES Network will commemorate with a special televised event on Sunday at 8 p.m. ET.
Michael Kay is set to moderate the roundtable program, which will feature Torre, Valentine, David Cone, John Franco, Al Leiter, Jorge Posada, Bernie Williams and Todd Zeile. Together, they will re-live the best moments and memories from the 2000 World Series, which marked the Yankees’ third consecutive championship and their fourth in five years.
How intense was the rivalry between the clubs, whose home stadiums were separated by about 10 miles and what was then a $3.50 toll on the Triborough Bridge (since renamed to honor Robert F. Kennedy)? Derek Jeter recently told YES that he would have moved out of the Big Apple if his Yankees had lost.
“I’ve joked about it before, but I really mean it -- I moved to Manhattan when I was 21 years old, but if we didn’t win that World Series against the Mets, I think I would’ve moved out of the city,” Jeter said. “In my mind, it was a battle for New York, and we were playing for something pretty special, winning three championships in a row.”
Proceeds from “The Joe Torre Safe At Home Special” will support Safe At Home, which helps provide healing, hope and empowerment each year to 13,000 young people who are impacted by violence and abuse in their homes, schools and communities. Viewers will be able to send donations during the program by texting any amount and a special message to (646) 846-9505.
“During the current pandemic, our work is more important than ever,” Torre said. “Unfortunately for many, ‘stay at home’ does not mean ‘safe at home.’ With so many staying at home during this crisis, we know that many children are experiencing violence in their homes. The impact of domestic violence and abuse on children, families and communities can be devastating. We are grateful to the YES Network for letting us share this important message at such a critical time.”
• Torre's Bronx visit raises foundation awareness
Now in its 18th year, Safe At Home has reached more than 100,000 students. Its signature program is a school-based safe room called Margaret’s Place -- named in honor of Joe’s mother. Each Margaret’s Place is staffed by a full-time, master’s-level therapist who provides both individual and group counseling sessions. There are currently 15 Margaret’s Place programs in four states: New York, New Jersey, California and Ohio.
“The YES Network is pleased to team up with Joe Torre and his Safe At Home Foundation in producing and airing the June 28 special,” said John J. Filippelli, the YES Network’s president of production and programming. “This entertaining program will no doubt bring back a lot of memories for New York baseball fans and will also serve a great cause. The Safe At Home Foundation and its Margaret’s Place rooms provide an invaluable service to vulnerable children. We are humbled to play a part in raising awareness of the foundation’s efforts.”
Bryan Hoch has covered the Yankees for MLB.com since 2007. Follow him on Twitter @bryanhoch and Facebook.