Giants-Reds delayed by bees; Dietrich 'helps'

May 6th, 2019

CINCINNATI -- There wasn’t a drop of rain in the area, but the start of Monday's four-game series finale between the Reds and Giants -- which Cincinnati won, 12-4 -- was delayed for 18 minutes. That’s because there were concerns about a swarm of bees over the field at Great American Ball Park.

The invasion came just as the Reds were set to take the field, and all action was stopped. Fans were cleared out of the Diamond Club seats behind home plate so that workers could try to alleviate the situation.

“I’ve never seen anything like that. Nobody really knew what to do. Nobody really knew when to start the game,” Reds manager David Bell said. “I didn’t hear of anyone that got stung or injured. Hopefully not.”

The Reds' also got in on the action, donning what looked like an exterminator outfit with his Reds helmet while carrying what appeared to be a tank of "insecticide" as he pretended to fumigate the field.

Dietrich “borrowed” rookie ’s white dress shirt for his outfit.

“There’s a lot of cameras here, and I didn’t even play today. I did wrangle up some bees,” Dietrich said. “I thought about it after the fact that I was a Georgia Tech Yellow Jacket. They’re probably really mad at me, but I’m glad I got that situation under control. Thanks to Nick Senzel’s white button-down, I was able to dress appropriately.”

Did Senzel give him permission to use his shirt?

“I’m pretty sure he was on the field getting ready to hit a leadoff home run,” Dietrich said. “I was rummaging through his locker. It was the first shirt I saw that was all white. It came in handy.”

“I may have to wash that,” Senzel added.

The last known bee delay in Cincinnati actually involved the Reds and Giants on April 17, 1976, when their game at Riverfront Stadium was halted for 35 minutes.

During Monday’s delay, Reds starter Anthony DeSclafani played catch with Yasiel Puig to keep his arm warm.

“I just kept loose,” DeSclafani said. “It was pretty interesting though. I didn’t know until the umpires said something. I don’t think they even knew they were above them until they were breaking.”

Eventually the bees moved on. A beekeeper happened to be on hand to help contain the queen bee in a box, which helped the swarm disperse.

“I’m glad they moved, unfortunately, towards the fans, but enough that we could start the game and get it underway,” Dietrich said. “Once we got that under control, it was full steam ahead.”

The Reds went on to score five first-inning runs in their series-finale win. Although he didn’t play Monday, Dietrich has become quite the mirth-maker besides being second on the club with nine homers during what’s been a strong season.

On Sunday, as the Reds wore throwback uniforms from 1911 as part of their season-long 150th Anniversary celebration, Dietrich used eye black to fashion a mustache while he played.

“I don’t know why these things are hitting me, but I’m glad I was able to bring a laugh and keep us loose,” Dietrich said. “It was another big first inning and then it followed up throughout the game.”