TORONTO -- Juan Uribe was in the original lineup for the Indians on Sunday morning, but the veteran third baseman was a late scratch after experiencing lingering discomfort with his right hand.During Saturday's 9-6 loss to Toronto, Uribe was struck on the right index finger by a pitch from Joe
TORONTO -- Juan Uribe was in the original lineup for the Indians on Sunday morning, but the veteran third baseman was a late scratch after experiencing lingering discomfort with his right hand.
During Saturday's 9-6 loss to Toronto, Uribe was struck on the right index finger by a pitch from Joe Biagini in the sixth inning. Uribe exited the game and underwent X-rays, which came back clean, but the third baseman played catch before Sunday's game and was still experiencing issues.
"He was having a hard time throwing," Indians manager Terry Francona said. "He just wasn't comfortable. They covered it, and I think he can actually hit. I just don't think he can make the longer throw. It's just as tolerated. So, we'll check him again [Monday]. We'll see."
With Uribe out of the lineup, utility man Jose Ramirez handled third base. Francona hoped to avoid placing Uribe on the disabled list.
"I'd hate to DL somebody with something like this, but it's also hard to play short," Francona said. "So, we'll see. With the All-Star break coming, we'll see."
Other items of note
• In the eighth inning of Saturday's loss, a bang-bang play at home plate went against the Indians after an instant-replay review. After Ezequiel Carrera was initially called out, the ruling was overturned to give Toronto a lead. The explanation Cleveland received was that catcher Chris Gimenez did not apply the tag before Carrera touched the plate. Francona said the league offered further details on the reasoning behind the ruling after Saturday's game ended.
"They did. The communication was outstanding," Francona said. "Even with the umpires, I have nothing but respect for the way it was handled. I just don't agree with the call. And that's the hardest part for me. But, other than that, I felt like it was handled with so much respect that I actually appreciate it. I still have a very difficult time seeing how they can overturn that. I've read e-mails. I've looked at the videos. I've looked at why they did. I don't agree with them. That's not going to change anything."
• Indians catcher Roberto Perez (right thumb), who is on the 60-day disabled list, started a Minor League rehab assignment with the Arizona League (rookie) Indians. Francona said Perez is progressing well in his comeback and should be cleared to catch in a rehab game soon. His Minor League rehab stint began Friday and can last up to 20 days.
Jordan Bastian has covered the Indians for MLB.com since 2011, and previously covered the Blue Jays from 2006-10. Read his blog, Major League Bastian, follow him on Twitter @MLBastian and listen to his podcast.