Martin heading home from hospital

August 19th, 2018

CLEVELAND -- The last thing the Indians are thinking about when it comes to right now is baseball. The team wants the center fielder to focus on daily victories in his comeback from a serious bacterial infection, and a significant one arrived Sunday.

Chris Antonetti, the team's president of baseball operations, announced prior to Sunday's game against the Orioles that Martin is being released from Cleveland Clinic and recovering well, but there remains no timetable for his return. The Indians' top priority is helping him get back to full strength before potentially constructing a rehab program.

"It's beyond a relief, especially given where things were a week ago," Antonetti said. "I think it's important to remember we don't know. We're in uncharted waters. There's no precedent you can look back to and say, 'What does a return to activity look like?' It's very much going to continue to be day to day."

Martin became ill overnight on Aug. 7 and was taken to Cleveland Clinic the following day, when it was discovered that an undisclosed bacteria entered his bloodstream, produced toxins and impacted his internal organs. Per Antonetti, Martin's condition worsened to the point of being life-threatening, but things began to move back in a positive direction throughout last week.

During the Tribe's recent trip to Cincinnati, Antonetti met with the players at Great American Ball Park to explain the specifics of what was ailing Martin. By Wednesday, the center fielder was out of the intensive care unit. On Thursday, manager Terry Francona, bench coach Brad Mills and a group of Martin's teammates made a visit to Cleveland Clinic.

"His spirits were really lifted," Antonetti said. "A bunch of the guys stopped by to visit. Tito and Millsie stopped by. He continues to draw energy from that and I know he's really motivated to get back healthy and begin building up his activity."

Antonetti said that Martin -- acquired from the Tigers prior to the July 31 non-waiver Trade Deadline -- has already been asking about when he can resume some light baseball activities. The Indians are just thrilled that he has been able to become more mobile over the past week, leading up to Sunday's release from the hospital.

"To think about the progress he's made over the past week, it's been nothing short of amazing," Antonetti said. "He'll have a series of follow up checks this week with doctors, just to continue to monitor his health. And then at some point we'll begin to think about how we build up his activity and see where that leads us. ... It's been a really encouraging week."

Worth noting

• Right-hander (10-day disabled list, stress fracture in right fibula) threw long-toss from a standing position while wearing a walking boot Sunday at Progressive Field. The Tribe starter, who is projected to miss four-to-six weeks, has teamed with the medical and training staffs to create a throwing and rehab program with the goal of expediting the healing process.

"He's attacked the rehab with full intensity," Antonetti said. "When I talked with Trevor, he had already mapped out his five-day routine how he intended to simulate pitching, including simulate a start day while he was working through the leg therapy. He is committed to getting back as soon as he reasonably can."

• Designated hitter (10-day DL, right hand) did "full cage work" Sunday, according to Antonetti. The current plan is to have Encarnacion take normal batting practice Monday, with the goal of being activated from the DL in the near future. Antonetti said, "He's not too far away."

• Outfielder (60-day DL, left calf) is heading to the team's complex in Arizona to focus on rehab work while the Indians hit the road for Boston and Kansas City this week. Antonetti said Chisenhall "still has some checkmarks to pass" in his running program before he can resume full baseball activity.