Slow-recovering Ross sent for MRI

April 21st, 2016

SAN DIEGO -- Tyson Ross started the Padres' first game of the season, but it remains unclear when he'll get the ball next. With Ross' recovery from a right shoulder injury having stalled recently, the Padres made the decision to have him undergo an MRI exam.

Ross was placed on the disabled list retroactive to April 5, and it appeared the injury was relatively minor. The club even initially expressed hope that he'd be ready to return immediately after his DL stint -- which would have been Wednesday.

"His progress was coming along how we hoped for the first couple weeks; he's kind of plateaued right now," said Padres skipper Andy Green. "We decided to go ahead -- tonight or early tomorrow morning -- to get a picture of him, get an MRI, get a look at him make a determination of what we need to do, best course of action."

Ross played catch Tuesday for the first time since being placed on the DL. Green said Ross incurred no further injury. But given the news of the MRI, the throwing session didn't go entirely as planned.

"Obviously he didn't come [back] as quickly as we'd have liked, or we would have probably just continued on the normal progression," Green said. "It was no major setback or anything like that. It's just once the progress slows, it's probably prudent to take a look and find out exactly what we're dealing with."

Ross allowed eight runs (seven earned) in his Opening Day loss to Los Angeles.

Worth noting

• Yangervis Solarte took on-field batting practice for the first time since he strained his right hamstring on April 10 in Colorado. He has also resumed taking ground balls, though the club hasn't tested him by moving him laterally on those grounders.

Green said Solarte will likely play "a couple rehab games" before returning to the big league club, but he offered no timetable for when that might occur.

• Green hasn't heard from the league about his ejection Tuesday night, or regarding the controversial balk ruling that led to it.

A day after his first big league ejection, Green reiterated that he wasn't looking for trouble -- only that he felt as though he was standing up for his club by disputing the call.

"I would've been content to go 162 [games] without getting tossed," Green said. "You don't pick a fight. But you don't run from them either. I think that was one that you had to deal with head-on."