Before Friday’s 7:05 p.m. game against the Miami Marlins, fans are invited to watch the 2020 Phillies take the field for the first time during the team’s Nemours Opening Day ceremony, which will be streamed live on Phillies.com and the MLB Ballpark App. Pregame coverage will also air on NBC Sports Philadelphia, as well as SportsRadio 94 WIP and WTTM 1680 AM (Spanish).
Pre-game highlights begin at 6:40 p.m. and include:
- Introduction of the Phillies’ starting lineup, which will feature a symbolic showing of unity by players.
- Moment of silence in memory of those from the Phillies family who recently passed away, as well as Americans who lost their lives to COVID-19.
- A pre-recorded national anthem sung by Kane Kalas, son of the late Phillies Hall of Fame Broadcaster Harry Kalas.
- A ceremonial first pitch by Alex Chiem, a clinical nurse at Jefferson Methodist Hospital, in honor of frontline workers who are working tirelessly during the global pandemic. Also making a ceremonial first pitch and representing Nemours Children’s Health will be 16-year-old Lauren Garrett, who will be accompanied by her physical therapist Stacey Travis-Treacy. Garrett is recovering from a cheerleading accident that left her paralyzed and has been working hard to recover with her team at Nemours. Note: ceremonial pitches were also pre-recorded.
- The season debut of the Phillie Phanatic, the best mascot in sports, who will make appearances throughout the game.
- The Phillies will also honor healthcare heroes from Nemours Children’s Health System and Jefferson Health, as they will be part of the Opening Day ‘crowd’ at Citizens Bank Park, thanks to unique Phillies game faces. These high-resolution color cutouts of doctors, nurses and staff will be adhered to Diamond Club seats and feature the medical workers in various poses while wearing their respective hospital uniforms and/or Phillies gear.
- The Phillies New Era Team Store at Citizens Bank Park will be open to the public from 10:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. and include special promotions in honor of Nemours Opening Day. Among the highlights: a Phillies Opening Day Headband with every purchase and an Opening Day Bundle including one ball, three pins and an adjustable cap for $50, as well as savings on Majestic jerseys and souvenirs.
- Fans are invited to follow the Opening Day action via @Phillies on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and Snapchat. Plus, check out MLB’s At Bat app for stats, scores and more.
*All of the above events are subject to change.