Tuivailala injures Achilles tendon in rundown

Reliever expected to go on DL; Healy leaves due to heat-related illness

August 8th, 2018

ARLINGTON -- Mariners reliever , who had been acquired from the Cardinals in a trade less than two weeks ago, strained his right Achilles tendon during a rundown in the sixth inning of Wednesday afternoon's 11-7 loss to the Rangers, and he is headed back to Seattle for further tests.
The 25-year-old will be placed on the 10-day disabled list, and the Mariners figure to add another reliever from Triple-A Tacoma prior to Thursday's series opener in Houston as they continue their 10-day road trip.
First baseman was also removed in the sixth inning due to heat-related illness as the two clubs played in 92-degree temperatures in the afternoon game at Globe Life Park.
Tuivailala was injured while planting his foot and trying to chase down in a rundown between home and third. He managed to toss the ball to catcher Mike Zunino as the Mariners eventually got the out, but he fell to the ground and wasn't putting any weight on his leg as he was taken to the dugout.

"It just tightened up pretty fast when I pushed off to go down the line," said Tuivailala, who was on crutches with his foot in a boot postgame. "It's something I've never felt before. It happened so fast I thought somebody cleated me from the back, and I couldn't push off from that point and just had to go down."
The right-hander was appearing in his fifth game for Seattle since being acquired from the Cardinals in a trade for Minor League reliever Seth Elledge. He's allowed one run in six hits in 5 1/3 innings with the Mariners and has a 3.41 ERA on the year in his combined 36 games with St. Louis and Seattle.
Healy went 0-for-2 in his first two at-bats before being replaced by in the sixth inning. He's batting .235 with 21 home runs and 56 RBIs in his first season with Seattle.
Healy said his he felt sick to his stomach and was throwing up earlier in the day, then started feeling dizzy once the game started.
"It was a very warm day out there," manager Scott Servais said. "Just the heat and a bad stomach got to him a little bit. It happens down here when you get in the heat like that."