PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. -- The Rays officially announced the signing of right-hander Sergio Romo to a one-year, $2.5 million deal on Tuesday.
Micah Johnson has been outrighted to Triple-A Durham, and thus removed from the 40-man roster, to make room for Romo. Johnson will remain in Major League camp as a non-roster invitee.
"I'm glad to be back," Romo said. "I can't be any more thankful to the teams that called. I'm thankful to say there was more than one team that called. I'm in a place where I'm wanted. They have a vision here about what they want to accomplish. The fact that they see me as a part of that is pretty cool, regardless of the age."
• Hot Stove Tracker
Romo said a "handful" of teams expressed serious interest, while up to 10 teams called. Romo's deal includes a payment of $250,000 if he were to be traded.
Romo began 2017 slowly by recording a 6.12 ERA in 25 innings for the Dodgers before being traded to the Rays on July 22. The 34-year-old dominated with Tampa Bay, going 2-0 with a 1.47 ERA in 30 2/3 frames.
"[Coming to the Rays and re-establishing myself] was huge just for the opportunity to be myself, an opportunity to pitch," Romo said. "I couldn't be any more thankful to the Rays. The change last year -- no knock on where I was before, because I was around a bunch of good guys there, also. But I was allowed to just pitch here and be myself.
"... It allowed me to find a sense of happiness and re-establish my sanctuary. I think that was probably the biggest thing for me. So coming back here, once I was offered something, it was kind of an easy choice."
An All-Star with the Giants in 2013, Romo is 35-27 with a 2.69 ERA over 495 1/3 career innings. He is a three-time World Series champion, all three titles of which came during his nine years with San Francisco.
Romo is likely to serve as the Rays' bridge to closer Alex Colome.