DETROIT -- Jose Cabrera and Alex Wilson saw their suspensions reduced by a game apiece after reaching settlements with Major League Baseball on their appeals from last month's benches-clearing fracas with the Yankees.Cabrera will serve a six-game suspension, while Wilson will serve three. Both suspensions begin on Saturday, when the
DETROIT -- Jose Cabrera and Alex Wilson saw their suspensions reduced by a game apiece after reaching settlements with Major League Baseball on their appeals from last month's benches-clearing fracas with the Yankees.
Cabrera will serve a six-game suspension, while Wilson will serve three. Both suspensions begin on Saturday, when the Tigers host the Indians. Manager Brad Ausmus will also miss the game as result of a one-game suspension tied to Wilson's suspension. Bench coach Gene Lamont will manage the Tigers on Saturday in his place.
Cabrera's suspension resulted from the first of three benches-clearing incidents Aug. 24 against the Yankees. Cabrera began arguing with catcher Austin Romine after Yankees reliever Tommy Kahnle threw behind him and was ejected. Cabrera shoved Romine, the two exchanged punches and the benches cleared.
Cabrera was originally suspended seven games for inciting the incident and fighting. Romine was originally suspended for two games for fighting and throwing punches. The Yanks' Gary Sanchez received a four-game suspension for fighting and throwing punches in the ensuing fracas. All of them appealed.
Wilson originally received a four-game suspension for later intentionally throwing at Yankees third baseman Todd Frazier after warnings had been issued. Ausmus received an automatic one-game suspension as a result of Wilson's actions, but that suspension was on hold pending Wilson's appeal.
"At that point in the game, it was something that had to be handled," Wilson said at the time.
In hindsight, Wilson regretted saying that.
"In this case, I think honesty was not the best policy," Wilson said.
The Tigers were clearly preparing for both absences with their September callups, adding first baseman Efren Navarro to their 40-man roster on Friday and then calling up corner infielder Jeimer Candelario on Saturday. Candelario was expected to wait until the end of Triple-A Toledo's season for his promotion.
Likewise, the Tigers have called up Blaine Hardy, Jairo Labourt and Myles Jaye since rosters expanded. They also activated Anibal Sanchez and Daniel Norris from the disabled list.
Jason Beck has covered the Tigers for MLB.com since 2002. Read Beck's Blog, follow him on Twitter @beckjason and Facebook.