Francona feeling better after chest pain scare

August 10th, 2016

WASHINGTON -- Indians manager Terry Francona was back at Nationals Park on Wednesday, feeling better and in good spirits a day after experiencing chest pain.
Francona was cleared to manage Wednesday's game against the Nationals after passing a series of tests, following discomfort that flared in the hours leading up to Tuesday's 3-1 win over Washington. The manager said he was more embarrassed than anything, but he knows it was the right move to head back to the team hotel after the health scare arose.
"I wasn't happy. It was bothering me," Francona said. "I was getting a little uncomfortable. After it passes, it's just more embarrassing."
Francona, 57, first complained of discomfort in his chest area during his pregame meeting with reporters on Tuesday, but he finished the session before heading to the clubhouse. Once inside, the skipper said he broke out into a sweat and was then given a series of tests by the medical staff on hand at Nationals Park.
Bench coach managed in place of Francona, who retreated to the team hotel after it was determined that he did not need to go to a local hospital. Francona said Chris Antonetti, the Indians' president of baseball operations, insisted that the manager head back to the hotel to rest.
"I came up to the training room, and my heart rate was over 100," Francona said. "Next thing I know, I'm hooked up to all these monitors and embarrassed. They kind of checked me out, gave me an EKG and everything, and then they sent me back to the hotel."
Francona watched the remainder of Cleveland's win over the Nationals.
"[Mills] did a great job. That was a fun game to watch," Francona said. "Trevor [Bauer] pitched his [rear] off and we did some good things. It's a helpless feeling, but it doesn't matter. Millsy's managed [before]. You just hate to not be there."
This is not the first time that Francona has dealt with chest pain.
On April 6, 2005, Francona experienced a similar issue while managing the Red Sox and was taken to a hospital in New York after what was described as "stiffness" in his chest. Mills, who was also Francona's bench coach in Boston at that time, filled in as the manager.
In the fall of 2002, Francona also dealt with chest pains, which were the result of a blood clot found in his lungs. The manager suffered a pulmonary embolism on each side of his lungs and was hospitalized for four days during that episode, after which he received blood thinners. That incident resulted in permanent damage to Francona's circulation.
Fortunately for Francona, the latest issue was not as serious, though he noted that he is planning to have a follow-up exam when the Indians return to Cleveland.
The manager said his cell phone has been buzzing with messages since Tuesday night.
"I probably had more messages that were not complimentary than were," Francona said with a laugh. "[Director of team travel] Mike Seghi laid claim to my scooter. That's the last thing he told me as I was leaving."