Moncada may rest after left hamstring tightens

Young second baseman says time off might be best to return to 100 percent

May 5th, 2018

CHICAGO -- departed in the bottom of the fifth inning of Friday night's 6-4 loss against the Twins at Guaranteed Rate Field with a recurrence of left hamstring tightness.
The White Sox second baseman left in the eighth inning of Wednesday's loss at St. Louis and sat out Thursday's series opener against the Twins. Despite feeling good enough to return Friday, Moncada admitted postgame that rest might now be the best solution.
"Yes, I think with two, three, four days off, I will be able to get a rest and recuperate that area and then maybe I can come back 100 percent healthy," said Moncada through interpreter Billy Russo. "Right now, it's tough for me to make any assumptions, but with a few days off, I think I will be able to play pain-free.
"It is frustrating, because I want to play. I'm here to play and I'm here to help this team. I'm here to help these guys to win games. When you're not able to do that, then you don't feel good."
Moncada drew a one-out walk from in the fifth, but then jogged somewhat gingerly toward second on 's long fly to center. During 's ensuing at-bat, manager Rick Renteria and head athletic trainer Herm Schneider came out to check on Moncada at first and he was replaced by pinch-runner .
"I felt the tightness when I was running," Moncada said. "I don't think it's anything serious, but it's something that is there. I can't play my game, I can't play free because I feel it when I'm running every day. I felt it and then I let them know and Ricky made the decision."
A sore right foot, caused by a foul ball he hit Wednesday, and a sore left thumb also have hampered Moncada. But it's the left hamstring that may lead him to sit him down for a bit, or even send him to the disabled list.

"He felt really good today. So I have to wait until he gets reevaluated to see what's happening," Renteria said. "When I went to talk to him, he just said he was cramping up again. So they'll check it, and we'll know more in the morning.
"Even after the game, when we took him out, he said he felt good. They checked him, they did the strength test, the whole thing. He said he felt fine. So giving him the day, he did all the work, was fine. Again, it's premature for me to respond to the possibility he might have. We've got to check him out first, and then we'll see where we're at."