MIAMI – The Miami Marlins are ready to take the field in South Florida for Play Ball Week, which will feature baseball and softball activities at Marlins Park and around the Greater Miami community from July 9-16. Marlins players, alumni and executives will take part in various events during Play
MIAMI – The Miami Marlins are ready to take the field in South Florida for Play Ball Week, which will feature baseball and softball activities at Marlins Park and around the Greater Miami community from July 9-16. Marlins players, alumni and executives will take part in various events during Play Ball Week.
As part of Play Ball Week, the Miami Marlins, in partnership with the Baseball Tomorrow Fund, will host an Equipment Drive on Saturday and Sunday, July 13-14, at Marlins Park. Each fan who donates new or gently used equipment will receive a voucher redeemable for two complimentary tickets to a select 2019 Marlins home game. Marlins players will begin the collection by donating equipment this Friday.
The following is a list of the events taking place during Play Ball Week:
• Tuesday, July 9
- Marlins RBI presented by University of Miami Sports Medicine Institute Girls Softball Classic Championship Game
• 6:30 p.m.
• Barry University (11300 NE 2nd Ave, Miami Shores, FL 33161)
• Marlins RBI (Reviving Baseball in Inner Cities) is an invitational sports-based youth program designed to promote interest in baseball, academic achievement and social responsibility in underserved areas of South Florida.
Wednesday, July 10
- Marlins RBI presented by University of Miami Sports Medicine Institute Wood Bat Championship Games at Marlins Park
• 11 a.m. (Juniors) & 3 p.m. (Seniors)
Thursday, July 11
- Young Viejos Softball Game
• 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
• Coral Gables War Memorial Youth Center (405 University Drive, Coral Gables, FL, 33134)
• The Young Viejos is a slow-pitch softball league for players 65 years old and above.
• Marlins alumnus Gaby Sanchez (9:30 – 11 a.m.) will be in attendance.
Friday, July 12
- Play Ball Event with City of Pembroke Pines Parks and Recreation
• 9 a.m. – 12 p.m.
• Flamingo Park (1900 NW 122 Terrace, Pembroke Pines, FL, 33026)
•Mayor of Pembroke Pines Frank C. Ortis and Marlins alumnus Alex Arias (9:30-11:30 a.m.) will be in attendance.
• Day will feature Play Ball activities, including fundamental drills with Alex Arias, Pitch, Hit & Run skills competitions, and other games.
v Saturday, July 13
- RBI Interleague friendly: Marlins RBI All-Stars vs. Rays RBI Tampa All-Stars
• Doubleheader, 9:30 a.m. and 12 p.m.
• Miami Lakes Optimist Park (6411 NW 162 Street, Miami Lakes, FL, 33014)
- RBI Night at Marlins Park
• Festivities include a check presentation for $2,500 each to the two RBI Legacy Scholarship Winners during a pregame ceremony, and a pregame parade for all RBI athletes. A trophy presentation will take place prior to the first pitch recognizing the champions of end of season RBI Tournaments.
•Marlins alumnus Charles Johnson will be in attendance for pregame ceremonies
•Sunday, July 14
- Play Ball Day at Marlins Park
•Play Ball Day is open to all athletes, from the Marlins Tee Ball Initiative presented by Ultimate Software to youth groups and adult leagues. Fans can claim a spot by purchasing a ticket at Marlins.com/PlayBall. Pregame programming with Marlins infielder Neil Walker, Billy The Marlin and Marlins Mermaids will begin at 10:30 a.m. Guests will also take part in an on-field parade.
• The pregame festivities will conclude with a Young Viejos exhibition game at 11:30 a.m.
•Monday, July 15
•RBI Career Workshop Series at Marlins Park
• 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
• The workshop is for the 45 RBI All-Stars and will feature a speaker series of Marlins executives from various departments. The workshop will showcase the different careers in baseball as the executives share their career stories and describe their daily tasks to the group.
•Tuesday, July 16
- P.L.A.Y. (Providing a Lifetime of Activity for Youth) Clinic
• 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. at Marlins Park
•The P.L.A.Y. Clinic is led by Head Certified Athletic Trainer Dustin Luepker and Marlins outfielder Curtis Granderson who will be joined by 50-60 local youth.
- MLB Elite Developmental Invitational – Girls Softball
• 2:30 p.m. at Marlins Park
•Roundtable discussion featuring female executives from the Miami Marlins front office and FOX Sports Florida reporter Kelly Saco. Marlins Chief Operating Officer Caroline O’Connor will open the event with a welcoming address to the group of female athletes.
For more information on Play Ball and Marlins RBI presented by University of Miami Sports Medicine Institute, please visit Marlins.com/Community.