Rosario, Wilson, Kepler day to day after exiting

Outfielders, catcher leave game vs. Cubs with heat illness

June 30th, 2018

CHICAGO -- The Twins saw three players leave with heat-related illnesses in Saturday's 14-9 loss to the Cubs at Wrigley Field, as left fielder exited in the bottom of the fifth inning, catcher Bobby Wilson left in the sixth and right fielder Max Kepler was removed in the eighth. All three received intravenous fluids upon leaving and are considered day to day.
"When the conditions are like that, you do the best you can to prepare them with nutrition and hydration and all those things, but it overtook three of our guys today," Twins manager Paul Molitor said. "And [the Cubs] had one on their side [Albert Almora] with cramping that was heat-related, too. So it was just tough."

After hitting a go-ahead two-run homer in the top of the fifth inning, Rosario left the game when Molitor and trainer Tony Leo paid him a visit in left field. Rosario was 2-for-3 with a single in the first inning and a go-ahead two-run homer as part of a four-run fifth for the Twins. But with at the plate with one out, Rosario motioned for a trainer and was removed.
The temperature at game time was recorded at 91 degrees, and it rose to 95 degrees with a heat index of 107. Home-plate umpire Hunter Wendelstedt wore a wet towel around his neck in an attempt to beat the heat.

Rosario was replaced in left field by Willians Astudillo, who made his Major League debut after getting called up on Friday. Rosario gave Astudillo his glove as he left the field. Astudillo went on to single on the first pitch of his career, tying the game on an RBI single to center off former Twins lefty in the sixth.
Wilson sparked the Twins' two-run rally in the sixth with a leadoff walk, and he was immediately attended to at first base by Molitor and trainer Masamichi Abe. First-base coach Jeff Smith brought him two cups of water, one of which was drank by Wilson, while the other was poured over his neck. Wilson remained in the game and scored on a sacrifice fly from . After the half-inning, Wilson was replaced behind the plate by catcher .

"My heart was fluttering," Wilson said. "I couldn't catch my breath. I felt dizzy. Started getting a headache. Just felt like a long time out there and trying to rush out to the box to get a hit, and of course, having that at-bat and tagging from first and tagging from second and tagging from third. Just couldn't even hold a conversation in the dugout. They just wanted me to get looked at. Saw the doctors. One of those days. Hot, long innings. That's never happened to me before."
Kepler's exit came in the bottom of the eighth, and it forced Astudillo to center field with taking over in left. Kepler went 1-for-4 with a run scored.