The Braves' farm system is loaded with talented young arms, and that was easily apparent on Saturday as Luiz Gohara and Lucas Sims led Double-A Mississippi and Triple-A Gwinnett to wins with dominating performances on the mound.The duo combined for 20 strikeouts over 13 scoreless frames as Mississippi topped Blioxi,
The Braves' farm system is loaded with talented young arms, and that was easily apparent on Saturday as Luiz Gohara and Lucas Sims led Double-A Mississippi and Triple-A Gwinnett to wins with dominating performances on the mound.
The duo combined for 20 strikeouts over 13 scoreless frames as Mississippi topped Blioxi, 8-0, and Gwinnett held off Indianapolis, 2-1. Whats more, these impressive outings come just a day after Braves No. 11 prospect Touki Toussaint struck out 11 with Class A Advanced Florida.
Gohara, the Braves' No. 9 prospect, set a career high with 11 strikeouts in six scoreless frames for Mississippi. The 20-year-old lefty got into a rhythm early as he struck out the first two batters he faced. Gohara struck out the side in the fourth and recorded at least one strikeout in each inning. When it was all over, Gohara, who has a 2.60 ERA in 12 Double-A appearances, had thrown 72 of his 98 pitches for strikes, allowing five hits and no walks.
MILB Video - Title: Gohara records 11th strikeout - Url: http://www.milb.com/r/video?content_id=1638920383
Sims, the Braves' No. 18 prospect, spun seven shutout innings for Gwinnett in what was his third straight quality start. The righty threw 104 pitches, 71 strikes, as he carved his way through the Indianapolis lineup, giving up just three hits and one walk. Sims also struck out nine in the outing, bringing his season total to 124 through 110 1/3 innings.
Other top prospect performances from Saturday's action:
• No. 4 overall prospect J.P. Crawford (Phillies' No. 1) put up another big game, continuing his strong month for Triple-A Lehigh Valley. Crawford, who has struggled for the bulk of the season, went 4-for-5 with three RBIs and is now hitting .324 in July and .230 on the season.
MILB Video - Title: Crawford goes for three - Url: http://www.milb.com/r/video?content_id=1637971483
• No. 24 overall prospect Kevin Maitan (Braves' No. 2) hit his first professional homer for Rookie-level Danville. Maitan hit a solo homer in the third to extend his hitting streak to six games and jumpstart his 3-for-5, two-RBI night.
• No. 68 overall prospect Willie Calhoun (Dodgers' No. 3) made the most of his pinch-hitting opportunity as he belted a solo homer in the fifth inning of Triple-A Oklahoma City's loss to Iowa. Calhoun has 21 homers this season and is batting .302 through 92 games.
MILB Video - Title: Calhoun hits pinch homer - Url: http://www.milb.com/r/video?content_id=1639009883
• Rays No. 6 prospect Joshua Lowe collected a career-best four hits in Class A Bowling Green's extra-innings victory over Peoria. Lowe, who finished 4-for-6, drove in two runs and stole two bases, the latest big game in what has been an impressive month. Lowe has boosted his average from .239 to .260 as he's gone 24-for-74 (.324) over the past 19 games.
• Orioles No. 7 prospect Austin Hays hit his fifth homer in eight games and extended his hitting streak to 13 in Double-A Bowie's win over Altoona. Hays, who finished 3-for-4, got the scoring started with a solo homer in the fourth and is now batting .330 through 27 games with Bowie.
MILB Video - Title: Watch: Hays crushes a homer - Url: http://www.milb.com/r/video?content_id=1640057783
• Cardinals No. 10 prospect Dakota Hudson has posted 12 quality starts in his last 13 turns after throwing seven scoreless innings for Double-A Springfield. Hudson led the Cardinals to a win over Arkansas as he gave up just four hits in the outing. The 22-year-old has also allowed one earned run or fewer in five of his past seven outings.
• Rockies No. 11 prospect Yency Almonte has a 2.00 ERA through 14 starts after spinning a gem for Double-A Hartford. Almonte gave up no earned runs for the second time in his past three starts as he held Portland scoreless over seven innings. Almonte threw 69 of his 109 pitches for strikes, yielding five hits and notching seven strikeouts.
MILB Video - Title: Almonte gets seventh strikeout - Url: http://www.milb.com/r/video?content_id=1637636883
• Phillies No. 12 prospect Rhys Hoskins hit his 22nd homer of the season and second in two days in Lehigh Valley's win over Durham. Hoskins, who finished 3-for-5 with three RBIs, wasn't the only Phillies prospect to go deep. Dylan Cozens (No. 9) hit his 23rd homer, putting him atop the International League leaderboard. Cozens and Hoskins led the Eastern League in home runs in 2016 as they hit 40 and 38, respectively.
MILB Video - Title: Hoskins hits 22nd homer - Url: http://www.milb.com/r/video?content_id=1637940083
• Phillies No. 14 prospect Adonis Medina has given up one earned run or fewer in each of his past three starts after allowing one run across seven frames for Class A Lakewood. Medina struck out five in the outing, allowing six hits and one walk.
• Nationals No. 17 prospect Raudy Read led Double-A Harrisburg to a win over Binghamton with a big 3-for-4 day at the plate. Read set a career high with his 10th homer of the season and also matched his season high with four RBIs in the game.
MILB Video - Title: Watch: Read rips solo shot - Url: http://www.milb.com/r/video?content_id=1639863283
• Giants No. 18 prospect Kelvin Beltre appears to be heating up for Class A Augusta. Beltre went 3-for-4 with an RBI in Augusta's win over Hagerstown. He has put together back-to-back multi-hit games and has at least one hit in eight of his past 10 games.
• Padres No. 19 prospect Joey Lucchesi picked up his third win in four starts as Double-A San Antonio topped Frisco, 4-1. After posting a 2.52 ERA through 14 starts with Class A Advanced Lake Elsinore, Lucchesi was promoted to San Antonio where he has continued to throw well. The lefty fired eight innings, struck out four and gave up one unearned run.
• White Sox No. 27 prospect Jake Peter extended his hitting streak to 12 games in Triple-A Charlotte's win over Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. Extra-base hits have come in bunches for Peter, who finished 3-for-5 with a homer and a pair of doubles. He also set a season high with four RBIs.
MILB Video - Title: Peter swats a long ball - Url: http://www.milb.com/r/video?content_id=1639647983
• Mariners No. 30 prospect Luis Rengifo had the first two-homer game of his career in Class A Clinton's win over Lake County. Rengifo homered in the third and the sixth while also doubling in the eighth on his way to a 3-for-4, four-RBI night.
William Boor is a reporter for MLBPipeline.com. Follow him on Twitter at @wboor.