ST. PETERSBURG -- Clint Frazier had an eventful first spring with the Yankees, but his time with the big league club did not include a request to wear Mickey Mantle's retired uniform number, according to the organization.
Yankees radio broadcaster Suzyn Waldman apologized to the outfielder on Wednesday after saying on WFAN that she heard Frazier asked if the team ever considers unretiring numbers, and that he was interested in wearing No. 7.
"I appreciate Suzyn reaching out, and I accept her apology," Frazier said on Twitter. "I would never ask for a legend's number."
A Yankees spokesperson said that the story was "false." Mantle's number has been off-limits since the team took it out of circulation on June 8, 1969.
"Ready to play some baseball," Frazier said in another tweet. "I care more about the front of the jersey than the back."
The Yankees' No. 2 prospect, according to MLBPipeline.com, Frazier was acquired in this past July's Andrew Miller trade with the Indians.
Frazier is beginning the year with Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre after batting .273/.267/.432 with two doubles, a triple, a home run, eight RBIs and three stolen bases in 22 Grapefruit League games.
Earlier this spring, Frazier opted for a buzz cut after manager Joe Girardi said that the 22-year-old's prized red mop had become "a distraction" in Yankees camp. Girardi said on Wednesday that he was not aware of the Mantle rumor.
"He never asked me for it. I'm not aware of it," Girardi said. "I can't even remember what number he was in Spring Training, we have so many high numbers. It's not a story."