Globe iconLogin iconRecap iconSearch iconTickets icon
news

MLB News

Ortiz transferred out of ICU in 'good condition'

June 22, 2019

BOSTON -- David Ortiz has been moved out of the intensive care unit at Massachusetts General Hospital, his wife shared in a statement released by the Red Sox on Saturday afternoon. "He remains in good condition and continues to recover," Tiffany Ortiz said in the statement.

BOSTON -- David Ortiz has been moved out of the intensive care unit at Massachusetts General Hospital, his wife shared in a statement released by the Red Sox on Saturday afternoon.

"He remains in good condition and continues to recover," Tiffany Ortiz said in the statement.

Ortiz, 43, was at a Santo Domingo bar on June 9 when he was shot once in the back at point-blank range. Two others were also wounded in the incident, including Jhoel Lopez, a Dominican television host who was with Ortiz. The alleged driver of a motorcycle that brought the suspected shooter to the scene was captured by civilians near where the shooting took place. The alleged driver was identified as 25-year-old Eddy Feliz Garcia, according to police spokesman Col. Frank Duran Mejia. Several more suspects have been brought into custody, and The Associated Press reported that Julieta Tejeda, a spokeswoman for the national prosecutor's office, told reporters on Tuesday that a second arrest had been made in the investigation.

Ortiz underwent emergency surgery in Santo Domingo to address damaged organs before he was flown to Boston for further treatment. The 10-time All-Star and three-time World Series champion has received an outpouring of support -- both within the baseball world and beyond -- as he continues to recover in the city where he wrote his legacy in a Red Sox uniform.