Although the final chapters of the 2018 season are waiting to be written, MLB's top players have had plenty of time to leave a lasting impression already.
Thus, we can begin to form player rankings for next year. Here's an early look at MLB.com's Top 50 for 2019. (Rankings as of Sept. 25.)
Note: Position ranks are based on each player's primary position, which is determined by 2018 appearances. Additional positions at which players are likely to have eligibility in most 2019 fantasy leagues are listed in parentheses.
1. Mike Trout | OF | Angels | Position rank: 1
Multidimensional superstar forging path toward Hall of Fame.
2. Mookie Betts | OF | Red Sox | Position rank: 2
All-around stud cemented as one of MLB's best players.
3. Jose Ramirez | 3B (2B) | Indians | Position rank: 1
Power-speed option can contribute stellar stats across the board.
4. Francisco Lindor | SS | Indians | Position rank: 1
Multifaceted shortstop holds firm place among MLB's top players.
5. J.D. Martinez | OF | Red Sox | Position rank: 3
Veteran ranks among baseball's most feared sluggers.
6. Nolan Arenado | 3B | Rockies | Position rank: 2
Slugger is one of baseball's most consistent superstars.
7. Manny Machado | SS (3B) | Dodgers | Position rank: 2
Offers dynamic skill set, multi-position eligibility.
8. Jose Altuve | 2B | Astros | Position rank: 1
Despite production decline, veteran remains elite asset.
9. Paul Goldschmidt | 1B | D-backs | Position rank: 1
Consistency king remains offensive powerhouse.
10. Aaron Judge | OF | Yankees | Position rank: 4
Patient slugger can provide head-turning power.
11. Max Scherzer | SP | Nationals | Position rank: 1
Durable right-hander arguably baseball's most reliable ace.
12. Alex Bregman | 3B (SS) | Astros | Position rank: 3
Youngster has skills to repeat breakout campaign.
13. Trea Turner | SS | Nationals | Position rank: 3
Provides high-end speed, solid power stroke.
14. Christian Yelich | OF | Brewers | Position rank: 5
Even if power regresses, outfielder should be multi-category stud.
15. Bryce Harper | OF | Nationals | Position rank: 6
Slugger has skills to challenge for another MVP Award.
16. Chris Sale | SP | Red Sox | Position rank: 2
Strikeout artist ranks among MLB's most dominant hurlers.
17. Jacob deGrom | SP | Mets | Position rank: 3
Impressive right-hander keeps getting better.
18. Trevor Story | SS | Rockies | Position rank: 4
Power-speed option has become one of game's top shortstops.
19. Ronald Acuna Jr. | OF | Braves | Position rank: 7
Budding star ready to build on stellar debut season.
20. Corey Kluber | SP | Indians | Position rank: 4
Consistent right-hander positioned for continued success.
21. Justin Verlander | SP | Astros | Position rank: 5
Despite advanced age, righty remains one of MLB's premier hurlers.
22. Javier Baez | 2B (3B, SS) | Cubs | Position rank: 2
Exciting infielder offers power, speed, versatility.
23. Charlie Blackmon | OF | Rockies | Position rank: 8
Veteran leadoff hitter benefits from hitter-friendly park.
24. Kris Bryant | 3B (OF) | Cubs | Position rank: 4
With better health, slugger could regain place among game's elite.
25. Gerrit Cole | SP | Astros | Position rank: 6
Right-hander has skills to repeat 2018 success.
26. Clayton Kershaw | SP | Dodgers | Position rank: 7
Despite injury concerns, accomplished lefty still part of ace tier.
27. Khris Davis | OF | A's | Position rank: 9
Established slugger could rank among home run leaders again.
28. Giancarlo Stanton | OF | Yankees | Position rank: 10
Veteran slugger one of game's premier power hitters.
29. Freddie Freeman | 1B | Braves | Position rank: 2
Polished hitter ranks among best first-base options.
30. Carlos Correa | SS | Astros | Position rank: 5
Bounceback candidate has elite potential at premium position.
31. Juan Soto | OF | Nationals | Position rank: 11
Youngster could make further strides after brilliant rookie campaign.
32. Andrew Benintendi | OF | Red Sox | Position rank: 12
Multidimensional youngster could be capable of further growth.
33. Luis Severino | SP | Yankees | Position rank: 8
Hard-throwing righty has ability to dominate on regular basis.
34. Aaron Nola | SP | Phillies | Position rank: 9
Right-hander poised to build on sensational breakout season.
35. Blake Snell | SP | Rays | Position rank: 10
After remarkable breakout, young lefty ready for encore.
36. Anthony Rizzo | 1B | Cubs | Position rank: 3
Veteran slugger has terrific on-base skills.
37. Gleyber Torres | 2B (SS) | Yankees | Position rank: 3
Youngster has potential to join keystone's top tier.
38. Xander Bogaerts | SS | Red Sox | Position rank: 6
Provides quality average, solid power in terrific lineup.
39. Matt Carpenter | 1B (2B, 3B) | Cardinals | Position rank: 4
Veteran offers strong power, superb on-base skills.
40. George Springer | OF | Astros | Position rank: 13
Leadoff hitter has strong bounceback potential.
41. Cody Bellinger | 1B (OF) | Dodgers | Position rank: 5
Young slugger could regain lost power after 2018 decline.
42. Eugenio Suarez | 3B | Reds | Position rank: 5
Has made strides to become stellar hot-corner option.
43. Carlos Carrasco | SP | Indians | Position rank: 11
Right-hander can be considered borderline ace.
44. Trevor Bauer | SP | Indians| Position rank: 12
After achieving greatness, righty poised for additional success.
45. Scooter Gennett | 2B | Reds | Position rank: 4
Veteran now cemented as outstanding offensive force.
46. Anthony Rendon | 3B | Nationals | Position rank: 6
Well-rounded veteran hits for average, power.
47. Rhys Hoskins | OF (1B) | Phillies | Position rank: 14
Impressive slugger part of up-and-coming club.
48. Ozzie Albies | 2B | Braves | Position rank: 5
Youngster could take another step toward stardom.
49. Zack Greinke | SP | D-backs | Position rank: 13
With expert control, crafty veteran continues to excel.
50. Patrick Corbin | SP | D-backs | Position rank: 14
After breakout campaign, southpaw could turn heads again.
Thomas Harrigan is an editor for MLB.com.