The Indians released a statement Tuesday in response to the latest report in The Athletic regarding allegations of inappropriate behavior by former pitching coach Mickey Callaway.
Callaway, who is now pitching coach for the Angels and previously served as manager of the Mets, was suspended by Los Angeles on Feb. 1 -- pending the results of an MLB investigation -- after an initial report in The Athletic, which described inappropriate behavior by Callaway toward at least five different women during his time in Cleveland, New York and Los Angeles. This behavior included unsolicited contact via email, text messages and social media, some of which contained lewd photos along with requests for reciprocal photos.
Tuesday’s story offers details on an extramarital relationship that lasted from 2015-17 between Callaway and an unnamed woman. The story says that the woman’s husband called Cleveland’s fans services department to complain about Callaway, and that the complaint was brought to attention of upper management.
The statement that the Indians released on Tuesday is as follows:
“Our organization continues to actively cooperate with MLB on their investigation into Mickey Callaway. It is important we honor the confidentiality and integrity of that investigation. While we don’t believe the reporting to date reflects who we are as an organization, we will not comment further on the specifics of this matter.
“We remain committed to creating an inclusive work environment where everyone, regardless of gender, can feel safe and comfortable at all times. We will let our actions – not just our words – reflect our commitment.”
Prior to releasing that statement, the club issued a statement that appeared in The Athletic’s latest story.
“In June of 2017, we received reports from a man alleging extramarital contact between Mickey and his wife over a two-year period. Within days of the report, we spoke with Mickey about the alleged behavior, and he maintained that the relationship was consensual and outside of the workplace. Following our conversation with Mickey and to our knowledge, there were no further complaints of misconduct from this person during Mickey’s tenure with the club.”
Manager Terry Francona spoke with the media Tuesday, though he declined to get into specifics on the Callaway situation.
“Out of respect to [the club’s statement] and the Major League Baseball investigation, right now is just not the right time to respond to some of the questions I'm sure you have,” Francona said. “I do hope at some point, we are able to, because I think we need to. Just know that we take this very, very serious.
“I have never worked in a place where I have more respect for people than here, and I've been very fortunate to work for some wonderful people. I believe that in my heart. I don't think today is the day to go look into details and things like that; I do hope there is a day, because I think it would be good. And I think it's necessary.”
Francona did respond to one question on the matter when asked if the organization had been covering up for Callaway.
“Nobody has ever deliberately covered up for anybody,” Francona said. “I can tell you that.”
Callaway emailed a statement to The Athletic when asked for comment:
“While much of the reporting around my behavior has been inaccurate, the truth is that on multiple occasions I have been unfaithful to my wife, and for that I am deeply sorry. What I have never done is use my position to harass or pressure a woman. I am confident that I have never engaged in anything that was non-consensual. I feel truly blessed that my wife and children have stuck with me as the most personal and embarrassing details of my infidelities have been revealed. I will continue to work as hard as I can to repair the rift of trust that I have caused inside of my family.”