MINNEAPOLIS -- Twins first baseman Joe Mauer, who is recovering from a cervical neck strain and concussion-like symptoms, has continued pregame workouts at Target Field, and the club will decide whether it makes sense to send him on a rehab assignment before he's activated from the 10-day disabled list.Mauer has
MINNEAPOLIS -- Twins first baseman Joe Mauer, who is recovering from a cervical neck strain and concussion-like symptoms, has continued pregame workouts at Target Field, and the club will decide whether it makes sense to send him on a rehab assignment before he's activated from the 10-day disabled list.
Mauer has been going through on-field drills before each game -- fielding grounders, running the bases and hitting with his teammates during batting practice. He suffered a setback on May 31, but has been progressing better since then.
But there's still no timetable for his return, given the nature of concussions. Mauer has been on the DL since May 19 after suffering what he believes was a concussion on a diving attempt at a foul ball against the Angels on May 11.
"Just kind of hasn't changed much," Twins manager Paul Molitor said. "We've just been running him through workouts. Trying to get some consistency with where he's at. We're just going to allow that to unfold as it needs to."
Molitor mentioned a rehab assignment could make sense before returning, as it would allow Mauer to play in a game situation to see how he'd respond with his symptoms, which have included balance issues and sensitivity to light.
"We've talked about a lot of things," Molitor said. "Mainly, we have to get a point where we have to decide one way or another. We're not at that point."
• Right-hander Ervin Santana played catch for the first time since suffering his setback with his surgically repaired right middle finger. He's scheduled to throw off a mound for the first time Thursday and Molitor said it'll be a similar process to the one he went through before he went on his first rehab assignment.
"We've had to turn the clock back," Molitor said. "There are a lot of things he's been through already [that] he's going to have to go through again."
• The Twins celebrated "Prince Night" at Target Field on Friday and players wore purple Prince-themed T-shirts during batting practice. The shirts will be auctioned off at twins.com to benefit Achieve Minneapolis for music grants in Minneapolis Public Schools.
• Miguel Sano was moved to seventh in the batting order for the first time in his four-year career Friday. He had previously hit sixth on nine occasions, but not since '16.
• Outfielder Trevor Larnach, the Twins' first-round Draft pick on Monday, hit a two-run homer for Oregon State against the University of Minnesota in the NCAA Super Regionals on Friday.
• The Twins announced they signed second-round Draft pick Ryan Jeffers, fourth-rounder DaShawn Keirsey and eighth-rounder Chris Williams on Friday. All three will head to Fort Myers, Fla., for a mini-camp for Draft picks.
Rhett Bollinger has covered the Twins for MLB.com since 2011. Follow him on Twitter @RhettBollinger and Facebook.