NEW YORK -- Marcus Stroman appears headed for the 10-day disabled list because of a lingering blister issue on his right middle finger.Stroman was removed from Friday night's loss to the Yankees after four innings because of the blister. It was the third consecutive start was that cut short because
NEW YORK -- Marcus Stroman appears headed for the 10-day disabled list because of a lingering blister issue on his right middle finger.
Stroman was removed from Friday night's loss to the Yankees after four innings because of the blister. It was the third consecutive start was that cut short because of the injury, and now the Blue Jays have decided he needs an extended period of time to let it heal completely.
Toronto has yet to make an official roster move, but one is expected to happen before Sunday's series finale against the Yankees. Blue Jays manager John Gibbons all but confirmed that lefty Thomas Pannone will be promoted from Triple-A Buffalo and will start Wednesday vs. Baltimore.
"It's been tough, it's something I've been battling," Stroman said Saturday morning. "It's pretty deep now. It's something I've never voiced how truly [bad] it was. I've kind of just always gotten through it and battled, and that's how I am. So hopefully just take a start here and let it heal over and then be back out there on the mound."
Pannone made his Major League debut earlier this month. He made three appearances out of the bullpen and allowed two runs over three innings. The 24-year-old is ranked Toronto's No. 27 prospect, according to MLB Pipeline, and he was 0-3 with a 4.91 ERA in six starts for the Bisons this season.
Normally, the Blue Jays would have considered bringing up another reliever or position player until Pannone is needed on Wednesday, but that won't be happening in this case. Pannone was optioned to the Minors on Wednesday, and he is not eligible to return to the Majors for 10 days unless he is replacing someone who is going on the DL.
"He would come to start Wednesday," Gibbons said of Pannone. "Because of the rules, we can't bring someone else first and then bring him up. ... I think he has looked good coming out of the 'pen a few times. I think everybody envisions [starting] is his role. I think it will be good for him."
Gibbons off the hot seat
Blue Jays general manager Ross Atkins confirmed on Friday afternoon that Gibbons will not be dismissed before the end of the regular season. Atkins said that he sat down with Gibbons earlier this week in Kansas City and made assurances that he will remain in place as manager for the rest of the 2018 campaign.
Atkins also admitted that Gibbons' situation will be "revisited" at the end of the year. Gibbons is signed through 2019 with a club option for '20, but a report from Sportsnet's Jeff Blair earlier this month suggested he was on the verge of being dismissed.
The report caused a bit of a hysteria away from the field, so Atkins felt it was necessary to sit down with Gibbons. The following day, Gibbons said he appreciated the discussion.
"That's good," Gibbons said. "We talked some things out, and I think that's the right way to do it. He does, too. We'll see where we're at at the end of the year.
"That can always become a distraction. It actually happens quite often in the game, and that's never a good thing. We're here to play baseball. The players need to be the focus. They're the show. Naturally, that's what happens in the game, you can't get away from it. But we'll put that to rest and see what happens at the end of the year."
Gregor Chisholm has covered the Blue Jays for MLB.com since 2011. Follow him on Twitter @gregorMLB and Facebook, and listen to his podcast.