In recognition of Mother’s Day on Sunday, May 8, Susan G. Komen, the world’s leading breast-cancer organization, and Major League Baseball are teaming up to put moms first and raise awareness to help reduce rates of breast cancer.
In 2022, nearly 44,000 people in the U.S. are expected to die from breast cancer -- most women who get breast cancer do not have a family history of the disease and risk factors vary by race and ethnicity.
The partnership between Komen and MLB is a collaboration to support Komen’s “Share a Moment with Mom” campaign through several activations that will educate individuals about the risk factors of breast cancer and raise money for research to find cures. The “Share a Moment with Mom” campaign will debut a special Mother’s Day tribute video, which will be released on Sunday on Komen’s social media channels and website. The video, which will appear in stadiums, will feature MLB players such as Pete Alonso, Tim Anderson, Carlos Correa, Carlos Rodon, Mike Trout and many others along with their moms.
“Partnering with Major League Baseball gives Susan G. Komen a new platform and access to thousands of sports fans [who can be educated] about the warning signs of breast cancer and the programs Komen offers to support people who are going through breast cancer now,” said Paula Schneider, president and CEO of Susan G. Komen.
“Mother’s Day is a special day to recognize and remember all the moms in our lives, and this year we chose to partner with Susan G. Komen to honor all those moms who have provided unwavering love and support, gentle compassion, and guidance -- many of whom have been impacted by breast cancer,” said April Brown, vice president of social responsibility for Major League Baseball.
The partnership includes:
On the field:
- One-of-a-kind, specially designed caps from New Era, featuring pink club logos (worn by all players, managers, coaches, and other on-field personnel)
- A matching pair of Stance socks is available for every player
- On-field personnel may wear pink wristbands and will wear the special breast-cancer awareness, pink MLB-silhouetted batter decals on Nike jerseys
- Major League players may continue to use special pink bats provided by Louisville Slugger or another approved bat supplier
- Commemorative base jewels
In the stadiums:
- Many clubs across the league have partnered with Komen to honor moms in ballparks as part of Komen's "Share a Moment with Mom" program
- A special Komen Mother’s Day video will be shared in Major League Baseball stadiums across the country as well as on Komen’s website and social media handles