CINCINNATI -- The Reds avoided arbitration with six of their players by agreeing to one-year contracts Friday.Second baseman Scooter Gennett, shortstop Jose Peraza, outfielder Yasiel Puig, and pitchers Tanner Roark, Anthony DeSclafani and Michael Lorenzen reached deals with the club Friday after backup catcher Curt Casali and the club agreed
CINCINNATI -- The Reds avoided arbitration with six of their players by agreeing to one-year contracts Friday.
Second baseman Scooter Gennett, shortstop Jose Peraza, outfielder Yasiel Puig, and pitchers Tanner Roark, Anthony DeSclafani and Michael Lorenzen reached deals with the club Friday after backup catcher Curt Casali and the club agreed to terms Thursday evening.
A source told MLB.com that Gennett will earn $9.775 million, Roark is getting $10 million, Puig will receive $9.7 million, Peraza will get $2.775 million, DeSclafani will get $2.125 million and Lorenzen will receive $1.95 million. On Thursday, Casali agreed to a $950,000 contract.
Alex Wood is the only Reds player who remains that is eligible for arbitration.
Friday at 1 p.m. ET was the deadline for clubs and arbitration-eligible players to exchange salary figures.
"It's just how this process works. You try to get settlements for everybody and work through all of the cases and the comps and pros and cons of each one," Reds general manager Nick Krall said. "We've had phone calls since last week, somewhat intensely. We do a lot of research beforehand, all the way back to the week after the season. We're prepared to go whenever this comes down and move from there."
Cincinnati is employing a "file-and-trial" approach to arbitration. That means the exchange figure date is a hard deadline, and if a deal isn't reached, the club will no longer negotiate for a one-year deal with the player. However, it could continue to discuss multi-year contracts.
"Nick and the rest of our team did a very good job juggling eight simultaneous discussions today," Reds president of baseball operations Dick Williams said. "These are difficult negotiations with a lot at stake, and not just for the two parties directly involved. We are pleased to have settled seven of the eight cases, and look forward to resolving the other one amicably through the arbitration process."
One benefit to the Reds for having most of the arbitration cases off the slate is that it gives the club a better idea on the budget as they continue to work to make roster upgrades. The club would still like to add a starting pitcher and a center fielder.
"It's definitely nice to have clarity on things moving forward and helps you out trying to figure out what else you can do before Spring Training," Krall said.
Mark Sheldon has covered the Reds for MLB.com since 2006, and previously covered the Twins from 2001-05. Follow him on Twitter @m_sheldon and Facebook and listen to his podcast.