Globe iconLogin iconRecap iconSearch iconTickets icon
news

MLB News

Osuna to plead not guilty to assault charges

MLB.com @gregorMLB

TORONTO -- The lawyer for Blue Jays closer Roberto Osuna said his client intends to plead not guilty to an assault charge stemming from an alleged domestic incident in early May.

Osuna's lawyer, Domenic Basile, made the statement after appearing in a Toronto courtroom on his client's behalf on Monday afternoon. Basile was in court for a large procedural preliminary hearing at Old City Hall, and a judge later adjourned the case until July 9.

TORONTO -- The lawyer for Blue Jays closer Roberto Osuna said his client intends to plead not guilty to an assault charge stemming from an alleged domestic incident in early May.

Osuna's lawyer, Domenic Basile, made the statement after appearing in a Toronto courtroom on his client's behalf on Monday afternoon. Basile was in court for a large procedural preliminary hearing at Old City Hall, and a judge later adjourned the case until July 9.

Major League Baseball also announced on Monday afternoon that Osuna's administrative leave has been extended to June 25. The 23-year-old has been on a leave since he was arrested and charged for assault by Toronto police on May 8.

"I just confirmed in court that I received further disclosure, so I'm waiting to meet with the crown attorney," Basile told a group of reporters outside Old City Hall. "That's going to happen in the next week or two. We're going to have a discussion, and we'll go forward from there. Unfortunately, I'm a little bit limited in what I can say because this is a first appearance, the matter is still before the courts and I haven't even seen this further disclose that I just received."

Osuna was not required to make a court appearance for the preliminary proceeding. His lawyer said that Osuna has been traveling back and forth between Toronto and Florida while working out at the Blue Jays' Minor League complex in Dunedin, Fla. Osuna was released on bail shortly after his arrest in May. As part of the bail conditions, Osuna was ordered to abstain from communicating directly or indirectly with the victim.

MLB previously confirmed it is "investigating the circumstances" surrounding the alleged assault, and Osuna's administrative leave is in accordance with the joint MLB-MLB Players Association Domestic Violence Policy. Basile said on Monday that he expects MLB to delay its final disciplinary ruling until the resolution of Osuna's legal case.

"Mr. Osuna is looking forward to coming back and playing baseball," Basile told reporters. "He wants to play with the Toronto Blue Jays. He loves the Toronto Blue Jays, but he respects the fact that there is a court process and that also there is a process with Major League Baseball. He's going to continue to work out and throw the ball and be ready to come back when he is authorized to play with Major League Baseball, and obviously, we're going to try to deal with this court matter as efficiently as possible."

Gregor Chisholm has covered the Blue Jays for MLB.com since 2011. Follow him on Twitter @gregorMLB and Facebook, and listen to his podcast.

Toronto Blue Jays, Roberto Osuna