Arenado makes Gold Glove history

Rockies' star is first third baseman to win in each of first 4 seasons

November 9th, 2016

DENVER -- No third baseman in history has gloved as much gold as quickly as the Rockies' .

Arenado on Tuesday became the first third baseman in history -- and the first National Leaguer at any position -- to earn Rawlings Gold Glove Awards his first four seasons in the Majors.

Complete list of Gold Glove winners

Arenado is the first third baseman to win four straight Gold Gloves since Scott Rolen had a five-year run (2000-04), and he joined outfielder as the only players to win the award in each of their first four seasons. Ichiro's run lasted 10 years, all with the Mariners.

"It's an amazing thing," Arenado said. "I have worked really hard at my defense. This is something I take a lot of pride in. I have to thank God that I have been able to stay healthy, for the most part. It's a good feeling that your hard work pays off."

Fellow Rockies at second base and in right field were finalists for Gold Gloves. However, the second-base award went to the Giants' and the right-field winner was the Cubs' .

Vote for Best Defensive Player in Esurance MLB Awards

"I love playing defense," Arenado said. "Hitting is just so hard sometimes, but I want to impact the game someway, somehow. So defense is something I take a lot of pride in."

Managers and coaches for each club voted for players in their league, but were not allowed to vote for players on their team, to account for 75 percent of the selection process. The Society for American Baseball Research applies the SABR Defensive Index for the other 25 percent.

Arenado led NL third basemen in total chances (490), assists (378) double plays (39), range factor per game (2.98), defensive runs saved (20) and defensive WAR (2.3) while ranking second in fielding percentage (.973) and zone rating (.824).

Complete awards coverage

Arenado became the 19th Gold Glove winner in Rockies history and joined Todd Helton for second-most. Outfielder Larry Walker has the club record with five.