TORONTO -- The Blue Jays made it official Wednesday afternoon, acknowledging that shortstop Troy Tulowitzki will miss the rest of the regular season with a right ankle injury.Tulowitzki was placed on the 60-day disabled list to make room on the 40-man roster for right-hander Nick Tepesch. Toronto's shortstop has been
TORONTO -- The Blue Jays made it official Wednesday afternoon, acknowledging that shortstop Troy Tulowitzki will miss the rest of the regular season with a right ankle injury.
Tulowitzki was placed on the 60-day disabled list to make room on the 40-man roster for right-hander Nick Tepesch. Toronto's shortstop has been out since July 28 and technically is eligible to return at the end of September, but it's not going to happen.
The 32-year-old Tulowitzki initially was diagnosed with a sprained right ankle, but an MRI later revealed he also sustained ligament damage. His rehab will continue throughout the offseason, but he's expected to be fully healthy by Spring Training.
"The diagnosis and everything, we knew it would be a while to heal up," Blue Jays manager John Gibbons said before a 11-5 loss to the Yankees. "Then, to crank it up again, it was going to take a good while."
Tulowitzki's disappointing season comes to an end with a .249/.300/.378 slash line. He was limited to 66 games because of hamstring, groin and ankle injuries, and never seemed to get comfortable. He also struggled in the field as evidenced by just one defensive run saved, his lowest total since 2012.
The lack of range and the absence of speed on the basepaths led some to believe that Tulowitzki lost a step or two during his 12th season in the Majors. Gibbons was asked about that Wednesday afternoon, but he disagreed and felt any lack of mobility was specifically related to the injuries.
"He had the hamstring injury earlier in the year and then he had the groin," Gibbons said. "Those things hinder you. He's not a blazer anyways. ... But when you have a bad hamstring, it healed, but it was still nagging him. Then the groin. It's tough to run."
• Blue Jays backup catcher Miguel Montero went through some light hitting drills before Wednesday night's game against the Yankees. Montero has been out since Aug. 2 with a strained right groin, and while there is no immediate timeline for a return, Gibbons believes the veteran backstop will not require much more than the minimum 10-day absence.
• Toronto has yet to announce a starter for Saturday against the Pirates, but Triple-A Buffalo righty Chris Rowley is the expected pick. Rowley is 3-4 with a 2.82 ERA in 10 games (six starts) for the Bisons this season. The Blue Jays have been using a four-man rotation since the July 31 non-waiver Trade Deadline because of a pair of off-days.
Gregor Chisholm has covered the Blue Jays for MLB.com since 2011. Follow him on Twitter @gregorMLB and Facebook, and listen to his pod,cast.