ST. PETERSBURG -- The Rays released a statement Sunday night noting that Major League Baseball is looking into social media posts about star shortstop Wander Franco that surfaced earlier in the day.
“During today’s game, we were made aware of the social media posts that are circulating regarding Wander Franco,” the club’s statement said. “We take the situation seriously and are in close contact with Major League Baseball as it conducts its due diligence.”
On Sunday, social media posts went viral alleging that Franco, 22, had been in an inappropriate relationship with a minor.
Franco did not play in the Rays’ 9-2 loss to the Guardians on Sunday afternoon at Tropicana Field. Manager Kevin Cash said it was “just a day off” for the All-Star shortstop, who had started each of the Rays’ previous 20 games and 39 of the last 40.
“I'm aware of the speculation. I'm not going to comment any further on that,” Cash said. “But the day off was because [it was] a day off."
The Rays begin a three-game series against the Giants on Monday in San Francisco.