A combined 12 members of the Los Angeles Angels and the Seattle Mariners have received discipline, including undisclosed fines, for their roles in the benches-clearing on-field incident that occurred in the top of the second inning of Sunday’s game at Angel Stadium. Michael Hill, Major League Baseball’s Senior Vice President for On-Field Operations, made the announcement. The discipline is as follows:
- Angels manager Phil Nevin has received a 10-game suspension for the intentional throwing by pitcher Andrew Wantz while warnings were in place.
- Mariners outfielder Jesse Winker has received a seven-game suspension for actions that caused the incident and for fighting.
- Angels third baseman Anthony Rendon has received a five-game suspension for his actions during the incident and for leaving the dugout while on the Injured List. His suspension will be served when he returns from the Injured List. In addition to the suspension, Rendon is prohibited from sitting on the bench for the Angels’ next seven games.
- Angels assistant pitching coach Dom Chiti has received a five-game suspension for his actions during the incident.
- Mariners shortstop J.P. Crawford has received a five-game suspension for fighting.
- Angels pitcher Andrew Wantz has received a three-game suspension for his intentional throwing at Jesse Winker of the Mariners while warnings were in place. Wantz is not appealing and will begin serving his suspension tonight.
- Angels pitcher Ryan Tepera has received a three-game suspension for his actions.
- Angels pitcher Raisel Iglesias has received a two-game suspension for his actions.
- Mariners outfielder Julio Rodríguez has received a two-game suspension for his actions.
- Angels bench coach Ray Montgomery has received a two-game suspension for his actions.
- Angels Major League Interpreter Manny Del Campo has received a two-game suspension for his actions.
- Angels catching coach Bill Haselman has received a one-game suspension for his actions.
Unless appealed, the suspensions of all players will be effective tonight, when both Clubs are scheduled to play (BAL @ SEA and CWS @ LAA). If any player elects to appeal, then his discipline will be held in abeyance until that process is complete.
Nevin, Chiti and Del Campo will begin serving tonight. Montgomery and Haselman will both serve when Chiti returns from suspension.