All-Star third baseman Nolan Arenado of the St. Louis Cardinals has been named the National League Player of the Month presented by Chevrolet for August, and third baseman Alex Bregman of the Houston Astros has been voted the American League Player of the Month presented by Chevrolet for August.
Arenado claimed his fourth career NL Player of the Month Award and his second of the 2022 season, previously winning in April. Arenado is the fourth Cardinals player to win Player of the Month twice in the same season, joining Albert Pujols (2009), Mark McGwire (1998) and Hall of Famer Bob Gibson (1968). This month’s award also represents the third this season for St. Louis, including Nolan’s All-Star teammate Paul Goldschmidt’s honor in May. This marks the first time since 2009 (Pujols twice and Ryan Ludwick) that Cardinal players received three Player of the Month Awards in a single season. Bregman earned his third career AL Player of the Month Award, most recently winning in August 2019, and is Houston’s second recipient of the 2022 campaign, joining his All-Star teammate Yordan Alvarez (June).
Nolan Arenado, St. Louis Cardinals
• The seven-time All-Star batted .364 (39-for-107) with 19 runs scored, 12 doubles, nine home runs, 29 RBI, seven walks and a .729 slugging percentage over 27 games played.
• Recorded a 10-game hitting streak from August 2nd-12th, including four multi-hit efforts. Also homered in three consecutive games for the first time this season from August 10th-12th.
• The four-time Silver Slugger Award winner delivered his fourth four-hit game of the season on August 27th, which included his 27th home run of the campaign.
• The nine-time Gold Glove Award winner enters play today batting .307 with 36 doubles, 28 home runs
and 89 RBI on the season. Nolan is the only player in the Majors this season to bat .300-or-better with at least 35 doubles and 25 round-trippers.
Alex Bregman, Houston Astros (@abreg_1)
• The two-time All-Star posted a .362/.452/.681 slash line with 27 runs, 34 hits, nine doubles, seven home runs, 22 RBI and 17 walks across 27 games.
• The Louisiana State University product recorded an eight-game hitting streak from August 9th-16th, collecting nine runs, 12 hits, seven extra-base hits and 10 RBI during the torrid stretch.
• Enjoyed a career game on August 18th against the White Sox, batting 4-for-6 with two doubles, two home runs, six RBI, four runs scored and a stolen base. Posted career bests in RBI and total bases (12), while matching his career high in runs.
• The second overall selection in the 2015 MLB Draft clubbed his 20th home run of the season on August 28th against the Orioles. It marked the third time in his career in which he has registered at least 20 homers.
Others receiving votes for NL Player of the Month presented by Chevrolet included Nolan’s All-Star teammates Paul Goldschmidt (.343, 25 R, 6 2B, 9 HR, 27 RBI) and Albert Pujols (.361, 22 H, 8 HR, 17 RBI); All-Star outfielder Mookie Betts (.330, 30 R, 11 2B, 9 HR, 18 RBI) of the Los Angeles Dodgers; All-Star third baseman Manny Machado (.342, 40 H, 14 2B, 6 HR, 28 RBI) of the San Diego Padres; and first baseman Christian Walker (.346, 36 H, 7 2B, 7 HR, 21 RBI) of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
Others receiving votes for AL Player of the Month presented by Chevrolet included All-Star Aaron Judge (.289, 26 H, 9 HR, 22 RBI) of the New York Yankees; first baseman Nathaniel Lowe (.389, 15 R, 42 H, 21 RBI) of the Texas Rangers; two-way superstar Shohei Ohtani (.317, 32 H, 8 HR, 20 RBI) of the Los Angeles Angels; outfielder Eloy Jiménez (.371, 36 H, 7 XBH, 14 RBI) of the Chicago White Sox; and third baseman Eugenio Suárez (.233, 21 H, 9 HR, 23 RBI) of the Seattle Mariners.